A training device used by climbers to strengthen their fingers. You can think of the fingerboard as a highly evolved chinup bar. Instead of having a big bar to grab onto the resin board has fingerpocket holds and edges of various sizes. The fingerboard may also have a large hold known as a jug. Instead of pullin up on the bard (as with a chin up bar) one just holds the small edges and hangs from between five seconds to a minute. Best results are obtained by reaching failure on a hold (i.e. you have to let go) within twelve seconds. This might seem somewhat futile but the exercise is repeated with a long rest between reps and the result is to increase finger and forearm power by forcing you muscles into a state of higher recruitment.

Extreme care must be taken to avoid injury, overuse leads to tendonitis and that fucks up your climbing. The aim of a fingerboard is to develop fingers of steel. Other exercises which achives the same effect are a system board, a Bachar ladder or Campus boarding

To me, fingerboards are impossible to train on. I use them to do the odd chinup but, other than that, the sheer unadulterated boredom that it brings really doesn't do it for me. I guess it just doesnt feel hard enough. Anything that I have to hang on long enough to let my mind wander means that:

a. I'm not training at a high enough intensity. I mean, hanging on the wee edges is easy, because you're just hanging. And if you try to make it harder by just using one hand, you either separate your shoulder, or fall off. Doing chinups are one possibility to increase intensity, but then again, you're trying to train fingers not your biceps.
b. This is taking way too long for my 18-year old brain to tolerate.

Campus boards, now those mean good times. Mainly because it feels really hard (and hell, it is), and chicks dig it. Bachar ladders are an invitation to elbow injury, and system boards... well... to me they're still faddish. Give them a couple of years to let them mature.

A fingerboard is the part of a string instrument on which the strings are stopped in order too change their pitch. The strings are tightened between the bridge and the nut (at the end of the neck), and pass over the fingerboard. A string is stopped by pressing the string with the finger to the fingerboard. Stopping a string at each point on its length changes its pitch accordingly.

The fingerboard is part of the design of most string instruments. Its shape and dimensions differ widely, according to the instrument. For bowed instruments, the fingerboard would be arched, in order to allow clearance for the bow when bowing each specific string. On plucked instruments, there is no need for clearance, and thus the fingerboard can be flat, which makes it simpler to construct.

The fingerboard is usually made of a single strip of wood attached to the neck of the instrument. In rare cases the fingerboard and neck are constructed together from the same piece of wood. The wood used for the fingerboard is generally hardwood. The fingerboard on modern violins, violas, cellos and contrabasses is made of ebony.

On instruments of the violin family the fingerboard extends beyond the neck and over the top plate in order to accomodate fingering of higher pitches. One of the reasons the fingerboard was designed as a seperate part from the neck, is that it can be replaced. The fingerboard (by being from a harder wood) adds strength to the neck, and (by being replaceable) allows the luthier to change the angle of the fingerboard to the body, and thus change the string action. Fingerboards of modern bowed instruments must be dressed, or "trued" usually about once a year. The constant playing actually creates deformities on the fingerboard surface, a slowly growing unevenness which eventually leads to buzzing of the strings when pressed at certain places. The process of dressing a fingerboard involves carefully sanding the fingerboard to create a smooth surface. eventually the fingerboard becomes too thin and needs to be replaced.

Cello and contrabass fingerboards are sometimes beveled. This means that the surface of the fingerboard under the lowest string is made flat instead of arched. This gives the string a few more millimeters of vibration clearance, and thus allows the player to bow the lowest string more vigorously, and produce a stronger bass sound.

Some fingerboards are fretted, for example on guitar and viol. The frets are a very easy solution for the problem of intonation on string instruments (although they actually introduce some minor intonation problems). Frets greatly facilitate the playing of chords, and also change the sound of the instrument considerably. On guitars the frets are strips of metal that are set in the wood of the fingerboard and can't be adjusted. On a viol (viola da gamba), for example, the frets are made of a gut thread (a piece of gut string), tied around the neck and fingerboard. These frets can be moved slightly up or down the neck in order to adjust the intonation.

A fingerboard in arcade terms is a small circuit board used to convert a PCB from one pinout to another. Fingerboards are usually designed to fit the standard JAMMA harness, although other pinouts are also available.

Lets say for example you have a Dig Dug arcade game board, and you would like to install it in your JAMMA compatible arcade cabinet. You would buy a JAMMA fingerboard, and then you would solder wires from each of pins on the Dig Dug edge connector to the equivalent pins on the fingerboard. You can then plug the fingerboard into your JAMMA harness, and play Dig Dug to your hearts content.

Higher quality fingerboards require less soldering (or none if you also have the wiring harness for the game you are converting), as they will have screw tag strips on them. These fingerboards can also easily be reused, since you don't have to permanently attach anything to them.

Most titles can be easily converted to the JAMMA standard with a fingerboard, although some titles require custom fingerboards that do power conversion (or video inversion in the case of Donkey Kong).

Fingerboards are small skateboards, less than 10 cm long but shaped exactly like the 'normal' ones. All sorts of tiny accessories (e.g. wheels, deck bolts) are available as well.

Although they don't have any particular use as a training device, they seem fun to play with for teenage (wannabe) skaters. They are also a lot cheaper than their bigger brothers.

The best known producer of fingerboards at the moment is Tech Deck (http://www.techdeck.com/).
A Fingerboard is a microcontroller PCB with a Motorola 68hc11 processor and wiring compatible with the MIT Handyboard/Interactive C system popular in many amateur robotics circles.

Some features are:

The most significant feature of the Fingerboard is its small size: 2"x4" in the second revision. This makes it ideal for very small robots that nonetheless need more computing power than a PIC chip can provide.

Fingerboards are sold by Embedded Aquisition Systems (http://www.embeddedtronics.com/).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.