In the area of instrumental music, more specifically, of wind instruments, a fingering is indeed a thing. It refers to the combination of keys or valves that brings the effective length of an instrument to the correct size to resonate at a particular frequency.

For modern brass instruments, this is accomplished with valves, either rotary or piston. When a valve is pushed, it allows the air to flow through additional tubing, changing the different possible resonant frequencies.

Of course, it isn't that easy, you can't just push the correct buttons and the correct sound comes out, but the rest of it? It's a long story, and it does not belong on this node!

Fingering: The act of using the finger command to gather information about users on a system:

[ixs@unixserver ixs]$ finger ixs@otherserver
Login: ixs                     Name:
Directory: /home/ixs           Shell: /bin/bash
On since Sat Nov 4 12:24 (CET)  on pts/3 from unixserver
Mail last read Sat Nov 4 17:03 2000 (CET)
No Plan.
[ixs@unixserver ixs]$

Fingering is the act of holding up a number of digits of the hand to offend/harrass another person. An example of fingering are holding up the middle finger with the metacarpus facing the intended recipient of the insulting gesture. Another, holding up the index and middle finger in a V, in the same direction.

Fingering, recognized very widely for what it is, has manifested in a disturbing, thriving sub-culture; some people will correct the position of their corrective lenses, or scratch their (collective) eyebrow, or even prop their head up, all the while providing digital stimulation to their environment. Further, an art of this sub-culture has developed, with people using mimed windlasses to imitate the raising action of other mechanisms, or perhaps hitting themselves in the elbow to send a conceptual wave of force that results, inevitably (by fortune or design), in the raising of the offending digit(s).

Fingering also refers to the positioning of one's hand and fingers in relation to a musical instrument, wind or string, to produce a given note or chord. To write down fingering for a given instrument may be as simple as marking a number, or may require a series of black and white dots, or even a chart. Braille has given blind people fingering notation for keyboard and other instruments. The term "fingering" is used for computer keyboards in the context of learning to type, but for little else.

Fingering also refers to manual female masturbation, and the stimulation of a woman's genitals by the fingers of another person. Fingering is considered low-risk activity for the transmission of HIV, however, breaks in the skin could allow for such transmission, but you pretty much need contact with mucous membranes.

Fin"ger*ing, n.

1.

The act or process of handling or touching with the fingers.

The mere sight and fingering of money. Grew.

2.

The manner of using the fingers in playing or striking the keys of an instrument of music; movement or management of the fingers in playing on a musical instrument, in typewriting, etc.

3.

The marking of the notes of a piece of music to guide or regulate the action or use of the fingers.

4.

Delicate work made with the fingers.

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.