A controversial comment placed on a newsgroup or other forum such as Everything, that is destined to be the target of anger and flames from other members of the online community. But that doesn't make it not a valid thing to say.

<DEMONSTRATION MODE="FLAME">
Screw you, FishHead! You're thinking of trolling you nitwit! Why don't you read the Jargon File entry on flamebait! You suck! Freak. Get it right.
</DEMONSTRATION>

Actually, FishHead was right. Flamebait is pretty much a troll who tries to get flamed. A flame (not the same as flamebait) is a response like this one to any post (including flamebait). Follow? Alright, the above could be classified as flamebait if I was trying to get Fishhead to flame me back. A very successful form of flamebait is to flame somebody. The easiest way to get attacked is to attack them first. Does that make sense?

<DEMONSTRATION MODE="FLAMEBAIT">
I didn't think you'd understand. You're probably too dumb. Oh, Windows rules. Linux sucks.
</DEMONSTRATION>
flame = F = flame on

flame bait n.

[common] A posting intended to trigger a flame war, or one that invites flames in reply. See also troll.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.