Tasty crackers that will save you from cancer and make you poop good too!


what goes in em

whole flax seeds, 1/4 cup (50 mL)
ground flax seeds, 1/4 cup (50 mL)
all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
baking powder 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
salt 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
margarine or butter, softened 4 tsp (20 mL)
skim milk 1/2 cup (125 mL)

what to do now? In a bowl of a stand-up mixer, add flax seed, ground flax, flour, baking powder, salt and margarine or butter. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in milk and mix until mixture forms a soft dough. (You can also mix the dough by hand.) Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 10 minutes. Divide the dough into quarters. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Roll out very thin to a rectangle 2 mm (1/16 inch) thick. Cut into 6 cm (2 ½ inch) squares. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with the remainder of the dough. Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C ). Bake 20 minutes until crisp and golden. (what's metric for "20 minutes?")

Variations:
Onion: 15 mL (1 tbsp) powdered onion soup mix.
Cheese: 250 mL (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese.
Italian: 15 mL (1 tbsp) oregano and 250 mL (1 cup) grated mozzarella cheese.

Yield: 24 crackers.

note:

This recipe can take a LOT of tweaking. I used water plus a smidgen of dried milk, instead of skim. I don't have a grinder so I just used 1/4 cup of whole flax seeds and upped the flour slightly, about 1/8 cup more. I added a little onion salt and garlic salt and red pepper, and they still turned out kind of bland. Salt/spices will not stick to the tops of these things, unless you brush them with water, which seems like a hassle. I'd suggest doubling the salt to a whole teaspoon, unless you're adding onion soup mix which is all salt anyway. Oh, and the amount of butter called for is a total lie, the dough won't stick together without more. Maybe a typo. I used about 6 teaspoons.

The dough will be rubbery. You can put it in the fridge uncovered and forget about it for a while and it will still turn out ok.

also, this takes about 4 minutes to mix up by hand, not worth the time it takes to drag the mixer out or clean it afterwards. Also you don't really have to roll them out, I just squashed mine into decorative non-cracker-like shapes on the cookie sheet.

Original recipe found at:
http://www.healthcastle.com/flax_recipe.shtml

How achan makes jessicapierce's Flax Seed Crackers



I did some things differently:
  • I used only 1 cup of flour.
  • I have a coffee grinder so I added the ground flax. I will poop better than jessicapierce.
  • I used 4tsp of butter as per the recipe. In order to get the dough to stick together I rubbed olive oil on my hands and kneeded it a bit.
  • I used milk, not water. 1%, not skim. I prefer skim but no one else drinks it.
  • I made cracker shapes, but that's trivial


Observations
My dough was not rubbery, and it stuck together. I attribute this to the fact that I used half a cup less flour.

They are in the oven now. Soon we shall see how they turn out.

Drumroll
The first sheet is done! They taste great! They have a nutty flax flavour, and are not bland at all, even though I only used .5 tsp salt.

Conclusion
Less flour, ground flax, delicious!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.