Few people realize this, but cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts are all actually the same plant - just different cultivars of the original European wild cabbage plant (Brassica oleracea).

Seeing as how they are actually all the same species, even though they look quite different it is actually incredibly easy to crossbreed these plants, which is how we end up with monstrosities like the broccoflower.

But once in a while the horticultural wizards get it right, which is how we've ended up with the blessing that is the "flower sprout", a cross between brussels sprouts and kale that combines the best traits of both while leaving the worst behind.

Independently invented in Britain and Japan (the Japanese version is called "petit veil"), the flower sprout is finally hitting supermarket shelves around the world, and the verdict is in: DELICIOUS! It looks like a frilly, unfurled brussels sprout, or alternatively, a tiny miniature kale plant. Growing on the sides of the stalk just like brussels sprouts, they are usually sold already cut and ready to go.

Their flavor is mild and sweet and goes well with just about anything. I've tried them steamed, boiled, and stir-fried and hit gold every time, plus they look really really pretty hot and steaming on your plate.

But best of all, they have all of the formidable array of health benefits of all their other relatives in the brassica oleracea species, including being loaded with anti-aging anti-oxidants and various cancer-fighting compounds, but in a much tastier and more eye-catching package!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.