Song by Phish, 5th track on the first CD of their first studio album, Junta. Officially released live versions appear as track 3 of Disc 5 of Hampton Comes Alive, track 4 of Disc 1 of Live Phish 01: 12/14/95, and track 10 of Disc 2 of Live Phish 10: 8/26/89. Music and lyrics written by Trey Anastasio.

There is an anecdote that a phan, talking to Trey backstage, mentioned that he was in a band that covered Phish songs. "Oh yeah?" Trey replied, with a shit-eating grin. "Play Foam!" The joke, of course, being that it practically takes a virtuoso to play this difficult work.

For the majority of the song the band members stick to what is composed. The middle contains a short improvisatory jam section, and at the end they use slight variations on an established chord structure to bring the song to a frenetic close, as with Taste or Maze. This song, like many other tightly worked out early Phish tunes, became extremely rare in setlists in toward the end of Phish's tours. It was not played at all in 1999, and only twice in 2000. After the hiatus, it returned, at the Hampton Coliseum on January 3, 2003. Page's solo was a high point of the first set, driving the crowd to a roar before he was even finished, and NothingLasts4Ever and I were there to see it. Aw yeah.

Foam (?), n. [OE. fam, fom, AS. f?m; akin to OHG. & G. feim.]

The white substance, consisting of an aggregation of bubbles, which is formed on the surface of liquids,or in the mouth of an animal, by violent agitation or fermentation; froth; spume; scum; as, the foam of the sea.

Foam cock, in steam boilers, a cock at the water level, to blow off impurities.

 

© Webster 1913.


Foam (?), v.i. [imp.& p.p. Foamed (#); p. pr. & vb. n.pos> Foaming.] [AS. f?man. See Foam, n.]

1.

To gather foam; to froth; as, the billows foam.

He foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth. Mark ix. 18.

2.

To form foam, or become filled with foam; -- said of a steam boiler when the water is unduly agitated and frothy, as because of chemical action

.

 

© Webster 1913.


Foam (?), v.t.

To cause to foam; as,to foam the goblet; also (with out), to throw out with rage or violence, as foam.

"Foaming out their own shame." Jude 13.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.