This node is written as a guide to the jargon one might encounter when playing or watching football of the English variety. I have included some of the very basic jargon that can apply to a few other sports, but I hope that the majority of this will serve as some use to you. All entries are (or should be) in alphabetical order.

Ball-When shouted by a player on the field, this word takes on a different meaning than the obvious, and refers to one of two things: It either means "Hey, I am open, pass me the ball!" or can be used on the defense as "I have {the guy with the} ball," which implies for your other defender to move in to guard the other player without the ball.

bicycle kick-Refers to any kick over one's own head opposite the direction they are facing, even if it is neither a shot on goal, nor ends with the player landing on their back as the more dramatic shots do.

booking-Any time a player on the field receives any sort of card (see red card and yellow card further down the writeup) it is called a booking, in reference to the fact that the referee writes the offending player's name in a small booklet that contains the cards.

boots-Term used (mainly by English soccer players I think) when talking about soccer shoes (cleats.)

bring it down-A common command telling another player to receive the ball out of the air and settle it on the ground for easier play, or play it out of the air to somebody else's feet.

breakaway-Term that refers to a player who has the ball, and nobody between him and the goal but the keeper.

breakdown-Refers to when the opponent steals the ball, ending your attack, and beginning theirs. (Special thanks to toalight for this one.)

chip-A type of kick where a player kicks their toe under the ball and lifts, sending the ball up and over an obstacle such as defending players, or even a goal keeper. Usually used near the opponent's goal.

clear-Describes the act of getting the ball out of one's own defensive area. Can also be a command.

corner-Short for "corner kick" which is a type of free kick taken from the corner of a field by the offense when the defense knocks the ball out of bounds on their own end.

Cruyff-A type of move where you receive the ball with one foot and redirect it behind your other foot. Allows you to change directions without moving your hips.

down line-When a player has the ball on one of the sidelines, a teamate would scream this to inform that he was open to receive a pass further down the line.

dribble-Much the same as in basketball, except this type of dribbling involves moving the ball around with your feet.

dummy-Letting the ball go between your legs instead of playing it to trick an opposing player. Can also be a command telling another player to let the ball pass between their legs. (See my dummy writeup for further details.)

foul-Any type of of illegal physical play that results in a free kick for the other team.

goal kick-A kick taken by the opposing keeper (usually) from the six yard box, if your offense puts the ball out of bounds at their opponent's endline.

golden goal-Refers to a winning goal, usually in sudden death overtime.

(got) drop-If the "got" is used, this phrase means "I am wide open behind you if you need to pass the ball." The term drop refers to any backwards pass, and is often shouted as a command meaning "I am open behind you, pass me the ball now!"

got back-Same as "got drop."

(got) line-If the "got" it used, it means "Hey, I am open over here on the sideline." Without it, it either refers to the sideline itself, or is a command meaning "Hey! Play me the ball on the sideline now!" (Note: This can be commanded without actually being on the line, but can imply that the player screaming it is about to be on the line, at a time coincidental with that of the ball.)

go to-A command telling a player to move against a player who has the ball. Lets the player know that their back is being watched while the move up, so that the ball is not played around them.

(got) wide-With "got" means "I am open to the far left/right of you," and otherwise is a command saying "Yes, play me the ball out to the far left/right of you."

header-Refers to any ball played with a person's head, instead of feet.

hold-A command to a player telling them to keep possession of the ball without dribbling or passing forward, generally to buy time for additional supporting players to move forward.

hold 18-Command telling the defense not to stand behind the 18-yard line during a free kick.

you're in-Said to a player on your team with the ball if he has gotten by the last defender, or has no other players in his way but the keeper.

jockey-A term used to describe the act of staying directly in front of a player who has the ball, and mimicking their every move, so that they cannot get by you, or so that when they make a mistake you can steal the ball. Used to buy time for additional players to fall back for support. Can also be used as a command.

juggling-Refers to the act of keeping the ball in the air about one's own body by using various parts of the body other than the arms.

keep(er)-Shouted by the goal keeper to declare that he is going to get the ball, so don't touch it.

leave-Command that informs another player on your team to let the ball go past them to yourself, or somebody else on your team.

match-Refers to the actual game. You don't go to the soccer game, you go to the soccer match.

man on-Shouted to inform a player on your team who has the ball, or is about to have the ball, that there is an opposing player near them, or approaching fast who could possibly steal the ball and/or break his legs. Sometimes shortened to just "man."

mark-Refers to the opposing player it is your job to guard. Can be used as a command too. (ie "Jenkins, mark 17 coming in on the left!")

mark up-Command telling all players to find somebody on the opposing team to guard right now.
marking back-Another term for a defender whose job is to guard forwards.

no turn-Command that tells a player to stand directly behind a player and mimic their movements so that they cannot turn around and pass the ball/dribble forward.

nutmeg-Refers to a ball that is dribbled/passed/shot through the open legs of an opposing player. Often shortened to just "meg."

off-Short for "offsides," which is where an offensive player is standing behind the last defender when the ball is passed to him.

open-A player that it is safe to pass to, because no defenders are too close to him.

overtime-A set of extra time after regulation and stoppage time that is played in the event of a tie after regulation time has expired.

pick up-Refers to the act of moving to guard an open player. Can also be a command to move and guard an open player.

pitch-Term that refers to the actual playing field, especially in England.

PK-Acronym that stands for penalty kick, a special type of free kick taken from 12 yards directly in front of the goal.

push up-Command given to tell a player or players to advance up the field towards the opposing team's goal.

rainbow kick-Exceptionally rare to see in a game, this is where a player kicks the ball over their head in the direction they are facing, usually with the heel.

red card-A card shown to a player after they commited a very bad foul, or been given two yellow cards. This results in their leaving the game, and sitting out the next game as well. A player who leaves the field due to a red card cannot be replaced. Sometimes it is just referred to as "a red."

run-Movement by a player to get open for a pass.

scissor kick-Another type of kick in which a player leaves his feet, becomes parallel to the ground, and kicks the ball. Almost always done offensively.

settle-Usually a command to bring the ball out of the air, or even just control a wild ball on the ground. Is also a term to describe the action of doing just that.

shank-Term describing a shot that goes horrendously wide of, or over the net.

shoot out-An event that decides the victor of the match after they have remained tied through regulation time and at least one overtime period. Generally a shoot out winner is determined by a set of five penalty kicks, but the American MLS has a different format in which a player gets to go 1 v 1 with the keeper starting from 30 yards out, still in sets of five. If after five of whatever, the score remains tied, additional players will shoot/attack one at a time until one team wins.

stab-The act of lunging haphazardly at an opposing player who has the ball in an attempt to steal it. Generally fails and allows the player to move around you with ease.

step-Command telling players to move up the field, or to tell a single player to commit himself to defending a player much the same as "go to."

striker-Another word for a forward.

stoppage time-Term referring to time at the end of each half that the referee adds to regulation time in order to compensate for various injuries, or balls going out of bounds. (Also known as "injury time."

stopper-A special type of defender or midfielder who acts as a failsafe behind the main midfield, guarding anybody who slips through. See writeup for more details.

sudden death-Refers to a type of overtime in which the first team to score wins the match.

sweeper-A special type of defender that stays behind the marking backs and picks up anybody who slips through the main defense. See writeup.

to do-Conjugated to be used as "did," and refers to a drastic move by a player with the ball that allows him to move past an opposing player, generally in a humiliating manner, such as a nutmeg. Can also be used in the imperitive, as in "Will, do that defender."

trap-Refers to any action (without using the hands) that stops the motion of the ball, and keeps it at one's body.

upper 90-Refers to the two upper corners of the net, where they form 90 degree angles. Hitting those with a shot, is both very difficult, very impressive, and an almost always surefire way to score a goal.

wing-A type of midfielder who runs up and down the side of the field looking for passes and especially to score goals. Also can refer to the outer area of the field where these players operate.

win-Command given to players who are going for a ball (usually in the air) at the same time as an opposing player. Kind of obvious advice but you hear it a lot.

yellow card-A type of card shown to a player that has commited a bad foul, but not bad enough to be sent off the field. Receiving two of these in a game will result in a red card. Players generally refer to it as just "a yellow."

18 yard box-Generally just called "the 18" or "the box" this is the penalty box, the big box that you see goalies standing in all the time, and the only area in which they can touch the ball. Any player fouled inside will receive a penalty kick. It's name derives from the fact that it is 18 yards out from the end line.

6 yard box-The smaller box within the 18, from where keepers take goal kicks. Often referred to as "the six."

If there are any words I missed that you feel should be on here, or if I got some of the definitions wrong, pleae msg me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.