What most people think of when they picture kimono is really furisode. These are the long-sleeved, elegantly-decorated kimono, and they are reserved for young women up to about the mid-20s--generally unmarried. Geisha may wear them indefinitely. There are three kinds:

- O-furisode, the "classical" furisode. The sleeve corners around rounded; the sleeves are about 115 cm long. These are typically worn by young unmarried women.

- Chu-furisode, the girls' kimono, worn from ages 10 to 18, approximately. Sleeve corners are rounded, length about 95 cm.

- Ko-furisode, for older young women and young married women. Sleeve corners may be squared, length about 75 cm--not that much longer than ordinary kimono.

Outer furisode are painted or embroidered with designs appropriate to the current season, current fashion, and age of the wearer. A mistake in any of these is a serious error. The furisode must be worn just-so, with the proper obi, etc. Most Japanese young women do not know how to do this anymore and must get an older woman or go to a kimono school in order to do it. Furisode are generally worn only on special occasions such as New Year's and the coming-of-age ceremony. They are extremely expensive, but they are truly works of art. A real furisode never has a machine- printed pattern (like the ones sold in the Narita airport).

The current shape of furisode is a sort of cylinder, de-emphasizing any breasts or hips, and dates from the Meiji period. Wedding furisode are a little more flowing, but still restrictive. The mincing walk of geisha comes from the hobble skirt-nature of modern furisode.

There are several excellent books on kimono in English, and they are pretty much exclusively about furisode.

The "geisha-lite" will undoubtably save the profession from extinction. Just as Japan has survived in the past by adapting to new situations, reforming geisha practices and training will help this traditional entertainment continue.

Sources

The Times, 2001 Reuters News Agency, 2000

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.