The lemonade of my eye is throughout the lunar system yet smells up the rainspout when a left turn does that which it does not do when it is not that which it is.

Picking the fundamental spatula which carrots will twist underneath my spooky fingernail sparkling with logical covered tresspasses.

Besh polom ti vemmon kanaar pen zenka.

Rhat es vaht e puneqa sov tennika. Postar? Ennol vone shekk. Kuleoe ghe ibew hillema con rax whollerten paz. Beni postar? Consu pai sivh, bezz ponka tai. Tehaet aws myl onkamie, wanos doon tek paweark pit oluth. Athuell teree muin lorthen floremmeset equilleschtin. Ip czoan rhepat oa byick ycolev.

Fisnor gherenabil lysodeebee ablokairt woitsch -- anoon scequo piturer yutazhe tokfaeif urst, wevopai monertte pythipung gaenorg, panem? Soi pon, exemolai.

In theatre, gibberish is a nonsensical non-specific language, useful in a variety of training exercises and improvisation performance games.

Spoken gibberish is a language. It has distinct words and grammar. It is formed by producing vowel sounds in the throat and then shaping the lips and teeth around them to produce consonants. This needs to be said as beginners often resist speaking at all when introduced to gibberish, instead pantomiming and grunting, or creating elaborate versions of charades.

Gibberish, as a technique, is not done to make the actors sound like idiots. Its use as an exercise in theatre is done to solve specific acting problems. Gibberish exercises teach you to focus on your scene partners, recognize subtext, and make physical offers. The Group Theatre would do scenes in gibberish to work on expressing emotion vocally independent of the words of a script. Improv gurus Viola Spolin and Keith Johnstone each independently emphasized the removal of recognizable language as one tool to bring out these skills in actors. Improvisers must focus on and communicate non-linguistic cues, then, to move forward the action of the scene.

Some typical improv scenarios that use Gibberish:

  • Gibberish translation. One actor gives a speech or recites a poem in gibberish. Another actor translates into English, or the language of the audience.
  • Gibberish/English. A scene starts in English, but at a specified cue (such as a bell), all actors switch to speaking gibberish, but continue the exact same scene without stopping. The bell will ring multiple times-- each time cueing a switch to the other language.
  • Gibberish Relay. One actor in the middle of two others must translate for both of them: each speaks a mutually unintelligible version of gibberish.

Improv troupes sometimes use gibberish games as a means to perform funny foreign accents (and accompanying ethnic or cultural stereotypes), which misses the point.

There are a few hypotheses for the origin of the term gibberish. One that holds the highest probability for the root of this term comes from the Latin transliteration of Geber. Jabir bin Hayan, known in Europe as Geber, was a 7th century Arabian alchemist. He wrote his works in strange terminology so that it would not be understood by others.

The reason behind Jabir writing in such a way was to protect him from heresy which was punishable by death. Gibberish in its modern sense was in use by the 1800s. Gibberish in its modern sense is applied to something of no value and is of derogatory nature, opposite from its usage of valuable encrypted information.

Gib"ber*ish (?), n. [From Gibber, v. i.]

Rapid and inarticulate talk; unintelligible language; unmeaning words; jargon.

He, like a gypsy, oftentimes would go; All kinds of gibberish he had learnt to known. Drayton.

Such gibberish as children may be heard amusing themselves with. Hawthorne.

 

© Webster 1913.


Gib"ber*ish, a.

Unmeaning; as, gibberish language.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.