Verb: The act of squirting saliva directly out of the salivary glands; spitting but without any lips. Most people can only accomplish this accidentally while chewing gum, but some can do it at will.

Usually, gleekage is accidental. You yawn, and the next thing you know, your desk has a small puddle of something wet on it.

It doesn't have to be like this.

With a bit of practice, you can gleek like the pros. Here is anotherone's guide to gleeking:

  1. First of all, be sure that you're in an area that will not be damaged by a little spit. Places not to be:Try to have a mirror handy.
  2. Yawn. You must yawn a really big yawn before gleeking. Experienced gleek masters can gleek with only the minimal tiny yawn, but that takes years of practice. Someday, Grasshopper.
  3. As soon as the yawn dies, open your mouth about an inch and push your tongue up against the roof of your mouth. Finding the exact spot to pull your tongue to is tricky- try to get it about where the hard part of your mouth turns soft or a little past.
  4. Here's the hard part: While holding your tongue against the top of your mouth, push outwards as if you're trying to force something out of your mouth. Don't get frustrated if you can't do it right off- It's hard!
  5. You should have sent a spray of saliva all over the mirror or whatever is right in front of you.
  6. With practice, you can aim the stream, control your distance (my record is about ten feet.), and shoot with little or no visible yawn.

    I hope this HOWTO has been helpful, and Happy Gleeking!

I am an experienced gleeker.

I will share my gleeking tips with you...!

First of all, yawning or anything like yawning has nothing to do with it, it's just that during a yawn it might come accidentally. What DOES need to happen, above anything else, is salivatory stimulation.

Salivatory stimulation is a must because you need your saliva glands going in order to produce the stream of saliva that will be ejected. How can this be accomplished? My favorite method is simply by tasting something. The stronger the taste, the more effectively the stimulation will go. Something spicy (some kind of hot sauce), sour (lime or lemon juice), salty (salt or seasoning) work best. Pop works well, too. But just about anything will work. In desperate times I have even stuck my finger in my mouth to stimulate saliva production.

Alright, so after a little taste of something to get the saliva gland working, you are prepared to gleek. Keep in mind that it won't be long before the saliva production goes back to normal; usually not longer than 10 seconds. In that case you'll simply need to have another taste. Yum! You'll have to open your mouth in order to successfully gleek. Otherwise, the spit won't go anywhere. It'll hit the inside of your mouth and miserably never see the light of day, or an annoyed sibling. So open that mouth. Doesn't have to be a big effort... just make sure it's open.

Then comes the tongue action. When I gleek, I outstretch my tongue as far outward as it will go. Again, it doesn't have to be a big effort... just stretch it out. Not straight out horizontally... and not straight up... just somewhere in between. The underside of the tongue is stretched out, and the spit shoots out in a fine stream of very small drops. The jutting out of the tongue should be a fairly quick action... as if you were "stabbing" your tongue out.

If this doesn't work for you, then perhaps it's just a fact of "some have it and some don't". And if this does work for you, and you discovered the art of gleeking because of this, /msg me; I'd like to know. :D
A card game dating back to the 16th century, played by three people.

The aim of Gleek is to gather three cards of similar value (such as three kings or three aces). The twos and threes are left out of the pack, after which each player is given twelve cards, and eight are left as a stock, from which the players can purchase extra cards should they so desire.

The trumps in Gleek are called Tiddy, Tumbler, Towser, Tib and Tom. There also exists a four-card variation of the game, which is called Mournival.

Some points of reference:

The Wordsworth Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
http://www.pagat.com/pointtrk/gleek.html

Gleek (?), n. [Prob. fr. Icel. leika to play, play a trick on, with the prefix ge-; akin to AS. gelacan, Sw. leka to play, Dan. lege.]

1.

A jest or scoff; a trick or deception.

[Obs.]

Where's the Bastard's braves, and Charles his gleeks ? Shak.

2. [Cf. Glicke]

An enticing look or glance.

[Obs.]

A pretty gleek coming from Pallas' eye. Beau. & Fl.

 

© Webster 1913.


Gleek, v. i.

To make sport; to gibe; to sneer; to spend time idly.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Gleek, n. [OF. glic, G. gluck, fortune. See Luck.]

1.

A game at cards, once popular, played by three persons.

[Obs.]

Pepys. Evelyn.

2.

Three of the same cards held in the same hand; -- hence, three of anything.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.