In programming terminology, a global is an entity with the largest visibility or scope an entity may have.
The other kinds of scope or visibility are block local, function local, parameter, class private, protected, and file.
Do not confuse visibility with storage class or lifetime
'Global' is a brand of kitchen knife, much favoured by chefs and cooks around the world.

Although relative newcomers compared to the likes of Sabatier or Victorinox (the first Global knife was made in 1985 by Komin Yamada) they're popular and respected. Yamada wanted to make a knife that was different from current styles (the roots of which could be traced back a hundred or more years in some cases), and set about creating the Global range.

Global knives use Molybdenum/Vanadium stainless steel, which retains it's edge very well compared to regular stainless steel. The steel is ice tempered and hardened to Rockwell C56-58, further increasing it's ability to retain an edge. Each blade is weighted to sit comfortably in the hand while working, and the simple construction eliminates dirt and food traps.

But enough of the sales pitch. If you work in a kitchen, or are a keen amateur, consider getting yourself a decent cooks knife from Global. I guess the best recommendation I can give is that in the restaurant where I work there are plenty of knives, of all shapes and sizes. There is however only one Global knife, and we argue when two of us want to use it at the same time.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.