Noun. Slang. From sports.

A person whose skill and competence makes him or her a trusted and reliable person to "go to" when assistance is needed (On the playing field, the ball is most likely to "go to" this person).

"In sports, 'go-to-guy' is an athlete who can be counted on to make a play when a situation demands steel nerves and precision execution. He is the player whose number is called on the final play of the game, when nothing less than a touchdown will help. "
(Packer, 2001)

Although seen most commonly in the sports section of the newspaper, the term has spilled over into contexts outside of sports, including technology, business, and politics, where it is applied to anyone who is relied upon to get things done.

"You know the 'go-to guy.' Every company has one. From the super-charged office assistant or the helpful bank teller to the unflappable technician, it's that one person whom customers and other employees turn to when they need a question answered, problem solved or task performed—instantly."
(Agency, Inc., 2001)

"Just a few months ago, Vice President Dick Cheney was Washington's go-to guy. President Bush delegated top priorities - like putting America on a secure energy path and devising a budget - to him. Lawmakers sought him out as the key dealmaker. The media proclaimed him the gravitas-filled man of experience."
(McLaughlin, 2001)

Sources:
McLaughlin, Abraham. "Lately, Dick Cheney is Merely Vice President." Christian Science Monitor. 6 September 2001. <http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0906/p1s3-uspo.html> (2 October 2002)
Packer, Trent. "Billy McMullen::Virginia's Go-To Guy." University of Virginia Cavaliers Official Athletic Site. 18 October 2001. <http://virginiasports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101801aaf.html> (2 October 2002)
"On Being the Go To Guy." Agency, Inc. <http://www.myagencyinc.com/public/cust_relations/s3_0402.htm> (2 October 2002)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.