Goober = Peanut A term of endearment in the south - where I am from. Remember Goober of the Andy Griffith Show?

Goobers are also chocolate covered peanuts - not to be confused with Raisinets, which are chocolate covered raisins. Both were once popular movie theater food.

"Goober" meaning peanut is probably derived from the plant's name in some African language, "nguba." (Various sources are saying the source language is Kikongo, Kimbundu, or something else in the Bantu group to which both of the former belong; Gritchka says the word is likely the same or similar in both of those two.) The word was brought over by the people brought as slaves and became common in the South.

Goober: A product by Smucker's which was introduced in 1968. Goober ingeniously places two of the ingredients necessary to create a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich (indeed, everything but the bread) in one jar, and is immediately recognizable due to the fact that the two ingredients are arranged in a vertically striped fashion. Consumers currently can find Goober in two flavors: Grape/Peanut and Strawberry/Peanut.

Sources: http://www.smuckers.com

Goo"ber (?), n.

A peanut.

[Southern U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.