The method by which free money is obtained from private foundations, federal, state or local philanthropic entities. Most of these agencies require that you be a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. (This means not-for-profit.)

Grant proposals from non-profit organizations usually require that the applicant clearly describe the organization’s history, mission, vision. After that portion is complete, then the applicant clearly describes the purpose for which funds will be used. In the case of an arts non-profit this would include: programming, honorariums, costs associated with mounting a production, salaries, publicity, and operational expenses. Next, the applicant tells these people why they are qualified to do what they do. This includes: resumes of key personnel, marketing plan, reviews of past performances and a listing of the organization’s Board of Directors.

There are limited numbers of grants out there which support individuals. These are usually for students, artists and researchers. These usually depend on sample work and other eligibility qualifications. This does not mean that individuals can not benefit from free money for organizations. An individual can approach a non-profit for a specific project. The non-profit can then conduit the money for them by acting as a fiscal agent.

Grant proposals are hard, tedious work, however, they certainly beat having a day job.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.