Here's how to make a green curry, say with chicken. Fry some green curry paste in a heavy-based pan or wok. (Frying makes it less hot). Then add cubed chicken breast, and stir fry until white (and green). Add a green vegetable: peas, zuccini, broccoli are all great. Stir-fry for a very short while, then add coconut milk, and maybe some chicken broth. Cook till tender, adding basil leaves and lemon or tamarind if desired.

Serve immediately, on white rice.

Or like this:

Heat a can of coconut milk in a pot until steaming. Add a tablespoon or two of green curry paste (or more at your own risk), a tablespoon or two of fish sauce and stir to combine. Add a cubed chicken breast, a few lime leaves, some eggplant or other vegetable you like (try pea eggplants for a really authentic flavour) and cook at a simmer for about 5 minutes. Throw in some Thai basil and serve within 30 minutes with jasmine rice and a stir-fried vegetable.

Store leftover curry paste in the fridge for up to a month, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can freeze leftover coconut milk too.

I can’t believe that every recipe here says, “use green curry paste”!

Hello?

You. Yes, you, are you going to use a prepared paste? No, you’re not, you’re going to follow my simple recipe and you’re going to end up with amazing green curry that will knock your socks off. Paste? Feh. Paste is for suckers.

You need the following:

  • 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped yellow onion or shallot
  • 1-2 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
  • 1-2 teaspoon peeled and coarsely chopped fresh ginger
  • 1-2 jalapeño or 1 serrano chili
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and stems
  • 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves

In a food processor or blender, combine the shallots or onion, garlic, ginger, basil leaves, chilies, the 3 tablespoons water, and 2/3 of the cilantro. Grind until you have a fairly smooth paste, pulsing the motor and stopping often to stir down the sides of the container and incorporate all the ingredients. You will have about 1/2 cup green paste. Set aside.

Shake the coconut milk can well. Spoon out 1/2 cup into a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and releases its sweet fragrance, about 3 minutes.

Add the curry paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the paste is dissolved into the coconut milk and is heated through. Add the remaining coconut milk, the remaining 1/2 cup water, the sugar, and salt. Raise the heat to high and bring the curry to a rolling boil. Stir well, reduce the heat to maintain a gentle boil, and continue cooking until the sauce is smooth and evenly colored a soothing green, about 15 minutes. When the curry is cooked, stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.

This is a versatile curry. I love it with roasted butternut squash.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.