Grow (?), v. i. [imp. Grew (?); p. p. Grown (); p. pr. & vb. n. Growing.] [AS. grawan; akin to D. groeijen, Icel. groa, Dan. groe, Sw. gro. Cf. Green, Grass.]

1.

To increase in size by a natural and organic process; to increase in bulk by the gradual assimilation of new matter into the living organism; -- said of animals and vegetables and their organs.

2.

To increase in any way; to become larger and stronger; to be augmented; to advance; to extend; to wax; to accrue.

Winter began to grow fast on. Knolles.

Even just the sum that I do owe to you Is growing to me by Antipholus. Shak.

3.

To spring up and come to matturity in a natural way; to be produced by vegetation; to thrive; to flourish; as, rice grows in warm countries.

Where law faileth, error groweth. Gower.

4.

To pass from one state to another; to result as an effect from a cause; to become; as, to grow pale.

For his mind Had grown Suspicion's sanctuary. Byron.

5.

To become attached of fixed; to adhere.

Our knees shall kneel till to the ground they grow. Shak.

Growing cell, or Growing slide, a device for preserving alive a minute object in water continually renewed, in a manner to permit its growth to be watched under the microscope. -- Grown over, covered with a growth. -- To grow out of, to issue from, as plants from the soil, or as a branch from the main stem; to result from.

These wars have grown out of commercial considerations. A. Hamilton.

-- To grow up, to arrive at full stature or maturity; as, grown up children. -- <-- ##error here in original: duplication of: To grow up --> To grow together, to close and adhere; to become united by growth, as flesh or the bark of a tree severed. Howells.Syn. -- To become; increase; enlarge; augment; improve; expand; extend.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grow (?), v. t.

To cause to grow; to cultivate; to produce; as, to grow a crop; to grow wheat, hops, or tobacco.

Macaulay.

Syn. -- To raise; to cultivate. See Raise, v. t., 3.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.