During wellness visits I used to ask, "Do you have guns in the house?" in the safety/accident prevention part of the visit. Along with helmets, seat belts, smoke alarms and not driving under the influence.

As a Family Practice Board Certified Physician, I counsel patients. Family Practice is a specialty, just as internal medicine and general surgery are specialties. A three year residency training after medical school and I retake the Boards every 10 years. I counsel patients in "annual exams" or "medicare wellness" visits.

A patient reported me to the state medical board because of that question. I then got a letter from the state board saying that I was being investigated but not why. Later I got a letter saying that the patient had complained that I had asked about guns. The state replied that in fact, I am supposed to counsel patients about gun safety.

I changed my counseling. Now I say: "If you have guns in the house, I am to counsel you to keep them locked up with the ammunition locked up separately."

I get three responses:

1. "My guns are in a gun safe, locked at all times, with the ammunition locked."

2. "I don't have any guns!"

3. Silence.

It is the silent ones that worry me.

I did not change my counseling because I was reported to the state and the state did not tell me to change it. I changed it in hope that someone who keeps their guns unlocked and loaded, in the bedside table, under their pillow, up in a closet, or where ever, will think about it. The question "Do you have guns in the house?" is too loaded for those people.

I met a woman with an impressive star shaped radiating scar on her chest. Her boyfriend kept a loaded gun under his pillow. One night she was returning from the bathroom. He shot her in the chest.

They are not together any more.

When my son went to preschool, over 20 years ago, I counseled him. "If another child says they can show you a gun or they have a gun, say that you have to go to the bathroom. Go and tell an adult right away. People can get killed."

He reported an overheard conversation in preschool between two other boys. One said that he knew where his parents kept a gun. The two boys were planning to leave the school to go look at the gun. I called the preschool. They already knew about it and had talked to both boys' parents. I don't know if the parents locked the guns up.

In Portland, Oregon, one of my neighbors chased his upstairs neighbor into the street one day during rush hour, stark naked, trying to hit the upstairs neighbor with a 5 iron. Yes, a golf club. I am very glad the downstairs neighbor did not have a gun right then, because he would have used it. Any of us could have been killed. And later the SWAT team was called to deal with him: he did have a gun that time. He threatened to shoot himself in the head. Then he did: well, except he only creased himself. He went to involuntary psychiatry, supposedly for six months. He was back in three months. The neighborhood was very very nervous. The house next door was sold and he disappeared and we were all relieved. He was strong, completely illogical and terrifying. We discussed how to deal with him but mostly we hid.

When he chased the neighbor into the street, I had already called 911 because I heard screaming next door. My voice shook. The dispatcher sounded bored: "Yes, we know the address, we've had three calls and they are on their way." The traffic stopped dead at the sight of a nude man chasing another man with a 5 iron. I unbolted my door and stuck my head out. "(C----)! Up here!" The upstairs neighbor ran up my steps and into my house. I slammed the door and bolted it and crouched by the front window with a baseball bat, ready to hit the downstairs neighbor as hard as I could if he came through my front window.

He didn't. The police arrived. The whole thing was over the upstairs neighbor "playing music too loud" and "not turning it down enough". The downstairs neighbor had broken down the upstairs neighbor's door with the five iron. The upstairs neighbor had tried to defend himself with a butter knife and then ran. The police explained to the downstairs neighbor as they arrested him that if someone breaks your door down, it is not assault to defend yourself with a butter knife.

We discussed which illegal drugs we thought he was on. This was in the 1990s, so we thought it was crack. There was a big article soon after that about a crack house. We said, whew, glad we aren't those neighbors and then realized that it was within two blocks of our house. Great.

Drugs and alcohol and guns and anger and grief..... it is a toxic mix.

Please, lock your guns.

The neighbor golf club incident happened between 6/1993 and 10/1994. It doesn't seem to have made the news, but there was a lot going on: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/29795

More recent naked golf incidents and others: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfm?id=3576

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.