Hark is a minor character in Warren Ellis and John Cassaday's comic book, Planetary. Planetary is about a group of "archeologists" that are unearthing Earth's hidden secrets. One such mission is the uncovering of the superbeings that existed.

Hark was part of the group of six people who worked with Doctor Axel Brass. Hark seemed to be a rather unemotional man, and relied greatly on logic to guide his movements.

Hark was of Chinese origin, and his most noticeable physical features were his formidable height, his long black hair and moustache, and his foot-long fingernails. His mind was like no other and he could compute elaborate superhuman mathematics.

Hark actually started as an enemy of Doctor Axel Brass, but Brass was able to convice Hark that they were actually on the same side, the side that wanted to make the world a better place for people. Hark and Brass became friends after that, and respected each other's great abilities.

Hark, along with Brass and Edison, encoded the supercomputer that allowed the group to edit reality and view the different possiblities that their world could go through. They intended to make the world a better place, as well as ending World War II, by using the supercomputer. However, troubles occured when another group of superbeings saw them and invaded their universe.

Hark died along with the rest of the group(excluding Brass), defending Earth from invaders from a parallel world.

However, Hark's legacy didn't stop with his death. His daughter, Anna Hark, took the inventions and money that he had made. After his death, she created the multinational Hark Corporation in America. It has been shown that she has shady connections with The Four, but exactly why has not yet been told.

According to Cassaday's notes, Hark is based off the famous Fu Manchu.

"We’re not going to go the full Fu Manchu route with this guy. I want him dressed very simply, in a black suit, no tie, the only unusual point being his remarkably long, elaborately painted fingernails."

-http://www.warrenellis.com/brass_people.htm

"I could code the world into a vast string of equations and have a corrected version of the planet Earth returned to me in seconds.

We can save the planet.

We can do anything.
"

-Hark, Planetary Vol. 1, All Over the World and Other Stories

Hark (?), v. i. [OE. herken. See Hearken.]

To listen; to hearken.

[Now rare, except in the imperative form used as an interjection, Hark! listen.]

Hudibras.

Hark away! Hark back! Hark forward! Sporting, cries used to incite and guide hounds in hunting. -- To hark back, to go back for a fresh start, as when one has wandered from his direct course, or made a digression.

He must have overshot the mark, and must hark back. Haggard. He harked back to the subject. W. E. Norris.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.