1. An armed robber. 2. Armed robbery. 3. The safe-cracking profession. "There's no dough (money) on the heavy these days, and these gopher tricks (underground burrowing robbery operations) are too tough." 4. A considerable sum of money, as a victim about to be robbed.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
Movie released in 1995 directed and written by James Mangold (Girl, Interrupted, Copland) and starring Pruitt Taylor Vince, Liv Tyler, Evan Dando, Shelley Winters and Deborah Harry. Fabulous soundtrack by Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth. Won the Sundance Special Jury Prize in 1995.

Heavy is a fantastic movie starring Vince as Victor, a short order cook working in his mother's (Shelley Winters') diner, and his struggle to connect with Callie, the new waitress (Liv Tyler). Be warned, this is not a movie for action fans; very few things actually happen in the movie. But that's the point; Heavy is aiming to be a picture of real life, where everyone has flaws but tries to make do with what they have. Victor tries to understand how to live life as an overweight man with no friends and little future; Callie has to decide whether she wants to grow up. Mangold does an excellent job of framing their lives with long drawn out shots of the bleakness of the landscape of upstate New York. I reiterate - this is a slow, slow movie. The Straight Story kind of slow… almost. But if you have the patience, it's absolutely worth it.

Adjective in music; Music containing dark and heavy textures. Usually aggressive and in some respects heavy metal music. Especially associated with more extreme genres of metal, such as death metal and black metal, but in no way exclusively.

Today, the world is heavy
Two days reprieve
Come crashing down in an instant
Feel it
Honor it
Be gentle
Forgive
Remember this is not
Forever

Cry then breathe
Feel and breathe
Remember to breathe

The sky is heavy
A metaphor
Appropriate
Grey and foggy
Cold and wet

Find joy when you can
Where you can
Find hope
Embrace what you can
Close your eyes
Remember and feel
The now distant
Embrace of loved ones

It will not always
Be heavy
The weight will wane
This is not
Forever

Heav"y (?), a.

Having the heaves.

 

© Webster 1913.


Heav"y (?), a. [Compar. Heavier (?); superl. Heaviest.] [OE. hevi, AS. hefig, fr. hebban to lift, heave; akin to OHG. hebig, hevig, Icel. hofigr, hofugr. See Heave.]

1.

Heaved or lifted with labor; not light; weighty; ponderous; as, a heavy stone; hence, sometimes, large in extent, quantity, or effects; as, a heavy fall of rain or snow; a heavy failure; heavy business transactions, etc.; often implying strength; as, a heavy barrier; also, difficult to move; as, a heavy draught.

2.

Not easy to bear; burdensome; oppressive; hard to endure or accomplish; hence, grievous, afflictive; as, heavy yokes, expenses, undertakings, trials, news, etc.

The hand of the Lord was heavy upon them of Ashdod. 1 Sam. v. 6.

The king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make. Shak.

Sent hither to impart the heavy news. Wordsworth.

Trust him not in matter of heavy consequence. Shak.

3.

Laden with that which is weighty; encumbered; burdened; bowed down, either with an actual burden, or with care, grief, pain, disappointment.

The heavy [sorrowing] nobles all in council were. Chapman.

A light wife doth make a heavy husband. Shak.

4.

Slow; sluggish; inactive; or lifeless, dull, inanimate, stupid; as, a heavy gait, looks, manners, style, and the like; a heavy writer or book.

Whilst the heavy plowman snores. Shak.

Of a heavy, dull, degenerate mind. Dryden.

Neither [is] his ear heavy, that it can not hear. Is. lix. 1.

5.

Strong; violent; forcible; as, a heavy sea, storm, cannonade, and the like.

6.

Loud; deep; -- said of sound; as, heavy thunder.

But, hark! that heavy sound breaks in once more. Byron.

7.

Dark with clouds, or ready to rain; gloomy; -- said of the sky.

8.

Impeding motion; cloggy; clayey; -- said of earth; as, a heavy road, soil, and the like.

9.

Not raised or made light; as, heavy bread.

10.

Not agreeable to, or suitable for, the stomach; not easily digested; -- said of food.

11.

Having much body or strength; -- said of wines, or other liquors.

12.

With child; pregnant.

[R.]

Heavy artillery. Mil. (a) Guns of great weight or large caliber, esp. siege, garrison, and seacoast guns. (b) Troops which serve heavy guns. -- Heavy cavalry. See under Cavalry. -- Heavy fire Mil., a continuous or destructive cannonading, or discharge of small arms. -- Heavy metal Mil., large guns carrying balls of a large size; also, large balls for such guns.<-- a type of rock music (1970's), with a hard beat, amplified electronically --> -- Heavy metals. Chem. See under Metal. -- Heavy weight, in wrestling, boxing, etc., a term applied to the heaviest of the classes into which contestants are divided. Cf. Feather weight (c), under Feather.

Heavy is used in composition to form many words which need no special explanation; as, heavy-built, heavy-browed, heavy-gaited, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Heav"y

, adv. Heavily; -- sometimes used in composition; as, heavy-laden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Heav"y, v. t.

To make heavy.

[Obs.]

Wyclif.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.