50's bastardization of a similarly 50's beat slang hip (based on pre-'50s Prohibition slang - see hip is pre-beat,) being a generally positive characteristic. Things which have been described as "hep" include cats, sounds, grooves and daddy-os.

A supercomputer designed by Dr. Burton Smith. The HEP was first installed in 1982. HEP stands for Hetergeneous Element Processor. The HEP was the worlds first MIMD machine.

The general architecture boil-down of this machine is that it was a Harvard Architecture machine with a switch fabric connecting the data memories.

HEP is the acronym for High Energy Physics. At the University of Texas, the north wing of the ENS lower basement was known as the HEP lab.

High energy physics research is merely interesting when studied theoretically, yet surprisingly amusing when brought to experimentation.

Hep, an abbreviation for Hepatitis. Usually used along with the letter designating the type of hepatitis, such as Hep-B and Hep-C. Hepatitis is a dangerous virus which is easier to catch than AIDS and can be fatal (it tends to affect the liver). For every 1 person infected with AIDS, there are 4 infected with Hepatitis C. There is no vaccine, and no completely effective treatment. In the U.S., 8,000 to 10,000 people die from Hep-C each year.

Initials for 'Hierusalem est Perdita' (Latin for 'Jerusalem is doomed'). An anti-semitic slogan and the subject of quite a few graffities, as well as a repetative mantra in anti-semitic demonstrations in 19th and early 20th century central and western Europe (mainly Germany and France). The English version is, for some reason, 'Eight' (8).

Hep (?), n.

See Hip, the fruit of the dog-rose.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.