Hot cocoa is simple to make, but requires a bit of attention to the details. Here is my recipe.

Start out by mixing the cocoa and sugar in a saucepan. Mix until uniform and no lumps exist. Next add in the water. This won't seem like enough water, but just keep stirring, it will all work in there forming a thick syrup like mixture after a few minutes. This depends a bit on your cocoa as well. There are two types to choose from, normal and dutch processed. The dutch cocoa has a bit of a milder taste, however I find it makes hot cocoa a little bitter, so I generally stick with the normal stuff. If you use dutch cocoa, you may need to add a bit more water.

Next, heat the mixture to a simmer for about 45 seconds. It should get nice and bubbly, but stir constantly so it doesn't burn. This will bring out all the cocoa flavor. Remove from heat and let sit for about a minute, just until the bubbles settle down. Slowly add milk. If you just dump it in there, the hot mixture will curdle the milk leaving you with little milk skins in your cocoa. Start off adding small amounts and stirring until incorperated, after about the first 1/2 cup is in you can just dump the rest in. Sprinkle in the cinnamon, and put back on heat.

Heat the mixture until it's up to the desired temperature. Generally, when you start to see clouds on top of the saucepan, it's good to go. Pour into a big mug and enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.