In NetHack, to identify an item is to read a scroll of identify or cast the spell of the same name and choose that item (or get lucky and have the spell ID everything for you). An indispensable process, as there are numerous items in the game that are extremely bad to use accidentally -- such as a scroll of fire, scroll of amnesia, potion of paralysis, wand of cancellation, amulet of strangulation, and the list goes on and on.

Gems and stones you collect are considered worthless until they are identified (and then they're usually worthless anyways). You can only sell a sapphire, for example, to a shopkeeper for full value if you know for a fact that it is a sapphire. Otherwise, he considers it worthless glass and offers accordingly.

You are also given the chance to have your possessions identified when you die. That way, you can moan and groan and smack your head against your desk when you find out that mysterious scroll you had was a blessed scroll of genocide, and that you had a wand of wishing and a ring of slow digestion. The DevTeam always knows how to make me feel better.

I*den"ti*fy (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Identified (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Identifying (?).] [Cf. F. identifier. See Identity, and -fy.]

1.

To make to be the same; to unite or combine in such a manner as to make one; to treat as being one or having the same purpose or effect; to consider as the same in any relation.

Every precaution is taken to identify the interests of the people and of the rulers. D. Ramsay.

Let us identify, let us incorporate ourselves with the people. Burke.

2.

To establish the identity of; to prove to be the same with something described, claimed, or asserted; as, to identify stolen property.

 

© Webster 1913.


I*den"ti*fy (?), v. i.

To become the same; to coalesce in interest, purpose, use, effect, etc.

[Obs. or R.]

An enlightened self-interest, which, when well understood, they tell us will identify with an interest more enlarged and public. Burke.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.