In Core Wars, an imp is any program with is entirely written with mov commands. The best example is mov 0, 1 which is an imp written in redcode. First published in Scientific American.

Short form of Interface Message Processor (or Passer?), the father of the router.

They were used in times of the ARPANET to exchange data between hosts.

Much as the word imp literally means a cutting or offshoot from a plant, the demonic metaphor is to treat them as little pieces of Satan; the Devil's toenail clippings, dandruff, nose goblins or that sort of thing.

From http://horde.org/imp/

IMP is the Internet Messaging Program. It is written in PHP and provides webmail access to IMAP and POP3 accounts.

IMP is an incredibly useful program. It supports many features of IMAP, such as folders, but alas does not do Fcc's. If you don't mind the rather common use of JavaScript throughout an IMP-enabled site, it makes e-mail a very simple task when IMAP, SSH and Telnet ports are blocked by a firewall. It supports SSL, both when acting as a client to the IMAP server and a server to the user.

The description of the imp varies slightly depending what mythology you're taking it from, what book you're reading or what game you're playing. Sometimes it's a tiny devil or evil spirit, an offshoot of Satan - this stems from the original meaning of the word, as an offshoot of a plant. Other fiction portrays them as crafty, pointy-eared goblins, while Indian mythology describes the imp instead as a genie-like creature that can grant its owner wishes. The imp in a number of recent games including MMORPG RuneScape is the stereotypical tiny devil - a miniature red devil guy with a pointy tail, horns and a trident. In any story or game where they feature, imps are notably weak, and will likely die with one good swing of a sword.

In fantasy roleplaying game Dungeons and Dragons, the imp is the smallest and one of the weakest of the creatures that fall into the category of devils. Unlike its more powerful brethren, the Baatezu, these tiny winged creatures rely primarily on subterfuge and trickery to advance in power and further their evil ends. They are only slightly more powerful than Hell's mindless hordes of lemures, but make up for their weakness with the abilities to take the form of a different creature or turn invisible at will. Imps often act as spies for more powerful devils and evil wizards.

Imp: CR 2; Tiny Outsider (Evil, Lawful); HD 3d8; hp 13; Init +1 (Dex); Spd 20ft., flt 50ft. (perfect); AC 18; Atk +7 melee (1d4 and poison, sting; Face/Reach 2 1/2 ft. by 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.; SA Spell-like abilities, poison; SQ DR 5/silver, SR 5, poison immunity, see in darkness, polymorph, regeneration 2; AL LE; SV Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +4; Str 10, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10.

    Skills and Feats: Hide +15, Listen +5, Move Silently +5, Search +5, Spellcraft +5, Spot +5, Sense Motive +10, Spot +12; Dodge, Weapon Finesse (sting).

Spell-Like Abilities: At will: detect good, detect magic, and invisibility (self only); 1/day-suggestion. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 6th-level sorcerer (save DC 10 + spell level). Once per week an imp can use commune to ask six questions. The ability otherwise works as the spell cast by a 12th-level cleric.

Poison (Ex): Sting, Fortitude save (DC 13); initial damage 1d4 temporary Dexterity, secondary damage 2d4 temporary Dexterity.

Polymorph (Su): An imp can assume other forms at will as a standard action. This ability functions as polymorph self cast by a 12th-level sorcerer, except that an individual imp can assume only one or two forms no larger than Medium-size. Common forms include monstrous spider, raven, rat, and boar.

Regeneration (Ex): Imps take normal damage from acid, and from holy and blessed weapons (if silver or enchanted).

It's occasionally been joked that Hell is actually ruled by an incredibly clever imp, who has managed to convince his subordinates into believing that they're actually being ruled by a more powerful super-devil they've somehow never seen.

Sources: http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd/srdmonstersd.html
http://www.fantasysquare.com/ffmyth/imp.shtml

The Hillman Imp was a small rear-engined car produced by the Rootes Group between 1963 and 1976.

A direct rival to the Mini, the Imp was a revolutionary design, with an 875 cc all-alloy engine (which was later increased to 998 cc), all-round independant suspension, and a pneumatic accelerator.

Unfortunately teething problems with the car (due to inexperienced workforce, and a rushed deadline), coupled with some unconventional features (such as the above-mentioned accelerator), and cooling problems saw the reputation of the car damaged early.

This did not stop the car having a huge success in the European Rally circuit.

There are many imp enthusiasts all over the world, and they are still regularly competing in various rallies and racing events.

There is a yellow Imp in the Motor museum at Coventry, but it's a rusty piece of crap.

Imp (?), n. [OE. imp a graft, AS. impa; akin to Dan. ympe, Sw. ymp, prob. fr. LL. impotus, Gr. engrafted, innate, fr. to implant; in + to produce; akin to E. be. See 1st In-, Be.]

1.

A shoot; a scion; a bud; a slip; a graft.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

2.

An offspring; progeny; child; scion.

[Obs.]

The tender imp was weaned. Fairfax.

3.

A young or inferior devil; a little, malignant spirit; a puny demon; a contemptible evil worker.

To mingle in the clamorous fray Of squabbling imps. Beattie.

4.

Something added to, or united with, another, to lengthen it out or repair it, -- as, an addition to a beehive; a feather inserted in a broken wing of a bird; a length of twisted hair in a fishing line.

[Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Imp, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Imped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Imping.] [AS. impian to imp, ingraft, plant; akin to Dan. ympe, Sw. ympa, OHG. impfon, impiton, G. impfen. See Imp, n.]

1.

To graft; to insert as a scion.

[Obs.]

Rom. of R.

2. Falconry

To graft with new feathers, as a wing; to splice a broken feather. Hence, Fig.: To repair; to extend; to increase; to strengthen to equip.

[Archaic]

Imp out our drooping country's broken wing. Shak.

Who lazily imp their wings with other men's plumes. Fuller. Here no frail Muse shall imp her crippled wing. Holmes.

Help, ye tart satirists, to imp my rage With all the scorpions that should whip this age. Cleveland.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.