In line to buy a ticket I am useless, I concentrate on standing the way other people stand. There is not much of a variety to pick from. Reassuring, but also means I must get it right. Skyler is a good one to have along, he handles the public for me, words, transactions. I would like to lean against Skyler or a wall or anything but who knows what would happen when the line moves forward, besides which there is a cop watching everyone and I am trying not to think about that. This is the theater Lowell and I went to on our first date and I will do my best not to think about that either, I will be good to my brain tonight.

With the right distraction there is no need to fight other thoughts. The ticketseller is blonde, a junior in high school, red vest fits him badly, there is no need for him to smile. His booth is a cell and without much effort my perception whittles itself down to the walls on all his four sides. A narrow space to spend your workday, one might think it was bleeding him, but really the world is quiet and he is a bird flapping over and through water against the white water sky, white bird flapping ripple flapping in the water sky.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.