Incognito was formed in 1981 by Jean-Paul 'Bluey' Maunick and a couple of session musicians after leaving "Light of the world", a seventies funk band. They released their first single "Parisienne Girl" and the album "Jazzfunk" which was a really rather modestly produced collection of jazzy instrumentals (apart from "Parisienne Girl" which was sung) with moderate success and vanished quickly for ten years.

With the advent of acid jazz and the influential DJ Giles Peterson founding the "Talking Loud" Label they had another go with the album "Inside Life" and: hey presto, they had their first hit with "Always there" sung by soul heroine Jocelyn Brown.

Now the albums started selling, and Bluey assembled an impressive collective of excellent session musicians around him, which he calls Family. The next album "Tribes, Vibes and Scribes" continued to explore all shades of Acid Jazz, with a strong melodious influence, great solo work and brillant vocal arrangements. They are still around, with Bluey continuing to exchange the musicians for each album, with just the rhythm section and Bluey maintaing continuity. Their uplifting concerts make them a favourite on festivals. Bluey has also spawned bands like "Citrus Sun" and "Innershade", which are really Incognito, but just under a different name, true to the name of the original band, gone incognito.

Discography:

  • Eleven <2006>
  • Adentures in black sunshine (2004)
  • Love x Love(2003)
  • Who needs love (2003)
  • Life Stranger Than Fiction (2001)
  • The Best Of Incognito (2000) US
  • Future Remixed (2000)
  • No Time Like The Future (1999)
  • Greatest Hits (1998) JPN
  • Live in Tokyo (1997) JPN
  • Blue Moods (1997)
  • Beneath the Surface (1996)
  • Remixed (1996)
  • 100° and Rising (1995)
  • Positivity (1993)
  • Tribes, Vibes & Scribes (1992)
  • Inside Life (1991)
  • Jazz Funk (1979)

    Check them out at http://www.incognito.org.uk

In*cog"ni*to (?), a. ∨ adv. [It. incognito, masc., incognita, fem., L. incognitus unknown; pref. in- not + cognitus known, p. p. of cognoscere: cf. F. incognito, fr. It. See Cognition.]

Without being known; in disguise; in an assumed character, or under an assumed title; -- said esp. of great personages who sometimes adopt a disguise or an assumed character in order to avoid notice.

'T was long ago Since gods come down incognito. Prior.

The prince royal of Persia came thither incognito. Tatler.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*cog"ni*to, n.; pl. Incognitos (#). [See Incognito, a.]

1.

One unknown or in disguise, or under an assumed character or name.

2.

The assumption of disguise or of a feigned character; the state of being in disguise or not recognized.

His incognito was endangered. Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.