The form of a verb with no subject. The most basic form of a verb.
In English, this is shown by placing the word to before the verb.
In Spanish, the verb will end with either -ar, -er, or -ir.

In*fin"i*tive (?), n. [L. infinitivus: cf. F. infinitif. See Infinite.]

Unlimited; not bounded or restricted; undefined.

Infinitive mood Gram., that form of the verb which merely names the action, and performs the office of a verbal noun. Some grammarians make two forms in English: (a) The simple form, as, speak, go, hear, before which to is commonly placed, as, to speak; to go; to hear. (b) The form of the imperfect participle, called the infinitive in -ing; as, going is as easy as standing.

With the auxiliary verbs may, can, must, might, could, would, and should, the simple infinitive is expressed without to; as, you may speak; they must hear, etc. The infinitive usually omits to with the verbs let, dare, do, bid, make, see, hear, need, etc.; as, let me go; you dare not tell; make him work; hear him talk, etc.

In Anglo-Saxon, the simple infinitive was not preceded by to (the sign of modern simple infinitive), but it had a dative form (sometimes called the gerundial infinitive) which was preceded by to, and was chiefly employed in expressing purpose. See Gerund, 2.

The gerundial ending (-anne) not only took the same form as the simple infinitive (-an), but it was confounded with the present participle in -ende, or -inde (later -inge).

© Webster 1913.


In*fin"i*tive, n. Gram.

An infinitive form of the verb; a verb in the infinitive mood; the infinitive mood.

© Webster 1913.


In*fin"i*tive, adv. Gram.

In the manner of an infinitive mood.

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.