In*i"ti*ate (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Initiated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Initiating (?).] [L. initiatus, p. p. of initiare to begin, fr. initium beginning. See Initial.]

1.

To introduce by a first act; to make a beginning with; to set afoot; to originate; to commence; to begin or enter upon.

How are changes of this sort to be initiated? I. Taylor.

2.

To acquaint with the beginnings; to instruct in the rudiments or principles; to introduce.

Providence would only initiate mankind into the useful knowledge of her treasures, leaving the rest to employ our industry. Dr. H. More.

To initiate his pupil into any part of learning, an ordinary skill in the governor is enough. Locke.

3.

To introduce into a society or organization; to confer membership on; especially, to admit to a secret order with mysterious rites or ceremonies.

The Athenians believed that he who was initiated and instructed in the mysteries would obtain celestial honor after death. Bp. Warburton.

He was initiated into half a dozen clubs before he was one and twenty. Spectator.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*i"ti*ate, v. i.

To do the first act; to perform the first rite; to take the initiative.

[R.]

Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*i"ti*ate (?), a. [L. initiatus, p. p.]

1.

Unpracticed; untried; new.

[Obs.] "The initiate fear that wants hard use."

Shak.

2.

Begun; commenced; introduced to, or instructed in, the rudiments; newly admitted.

To rise in science as in bliss, Initiate in the secrets of the skies. Young.

Initiate tenant by courtesy Law, said of a husband who becomes such in his wife's estate of inheritance by the birth of a child, but whose estate is not consummated till the death of the wife.

Mozley & W.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*i"ti*ate, n.

One who is, or is to be, initiated.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.