INSERT is an SQL command for inserting data into a table in a (relational) database. Here is an example:

INSERT INTO example (nickname, firstname, lastname, age) VALUES ('hax0r', 'John', 'Doe', 17)

The statement above tells the database to add one row to the table called example. The field nickname is given the value 'hax0r' (a string) and so on.

INSERT INTO example (nickname, firstname, lastname) SELECT username, firstname, lastname FROM users

As the example above shows, it is also possible to use a SELECT statement to get data to insert. In this case, multiple rows can be inserted by one INSERT statement.

It is possible to only give values to some of the fields in the table. For each of the unmentioned fields the following rules apply:

  1. If there is a default value for the field specified in the table definition, then the field will get that value.
  2. Otherwise, if the field allows NULL values, it will be set to NULL.
  3. Otherwise, the insert fails.

There are other reasons an insert may fail:

  • There is a primary key or a unique index defined on one or more of the fields, and there is already a row in the table with the same values as the row that is about to be inserted. See also: Key violation
  • There are one ore more foreign keys defined on one or more of the fields, and there is no record with the specified key in the referenced table.
  • The user does not have permission to insert data into the table.
  • The table is full and is not allowed to grow.

Keyboard command key, located (on a standard 102 key keyboard) above delete, and to the left of home.
Clustered with 5 other keys: delete, home, end, page up, and page down; Between the alphanumeric keypad, the numeric keypad, and under the print screen, scroll lock, and pause keys.

Also accessible from the numeric keypad by disabling Num-lock, or with shift key combinations.

An insert is a shot in a motion picture that is usually filmed after principal photography has been completed.

The film's screenplay will often note when inserts are needed, and the shots themselves are usually small in scale, which is why they can be "picked up" anywhere. (A pick-up is also a shot made after-the-fact, the difference being that it will often require the actors and the set for matching purposes.) Inserts often actually involve, for example, somebody else's hands manipulating an object.

Good examples of typical inserts are:

  • anything appearing in a magazine or newspaper (Why waste the actors' and technicians' valuable time when such a small item can be filmed anywhere?)
  • A gun or other weapon (to help clarify for the audience just exactly what is happening.)
  • Computer screens (are often inserts, particularly in low-budget films. In an elaborate feature film, the actor would be integrated into the scene involving the computer, walking past it, reflected in it, etc., thus making the shot more expensive and difficult to achieve.)
  • Drug preparation and other Small Objects (anything that needs intricate manipulation is often shot as an insert.)
  • Signs, license plates (anything that can be separated from the larger, more expensive set.)

Since inserts can be shot literally months after the film is completed, frequently the process is overseen by the film's editor, who--more than anyone-- knows just exactly what shot is needed in order for the film to make sense.

The most famous insert sequence I can think of occurs in Francis Ford Coppola's Vietnam War masterpiece, Apocalypse Now. All the footage of Martin Sheen's character, Willard, going through Col. Kurtz's dossier on the way up the river consists of inserts. High quality, very expensive comparatively, but none-the-less shot long after the fact, inserts.

There are specialists in Hollywood--prop men, cameramen, lighting experts--who do nothing else except shoot inserts. Frequently they will even insert another actress's legs (or other pertinant body part) into a film, that the audience might thus enjoy the scene more.


On Hollywood and filmmaking:

Below the Line

sex drugs and divorce

a little life, interrupted
  1. Hecho en Mejico
  2. Entrances
  3. Sam's Song
  4. Hemingway and Fortuna
  5. Hummingbird on the Left
  6. The Long and Drunken Afternoon
  7. Safe in the Lap of the Gods
  8. Quetzal Birds in Love
  9. Angela in Paradise
  10. And the machine ran backwards


a secondhand coffin
how to act
Right. Me and Herman Melville
Scylla and Charybdis Approximately
snowflakes and nylon


I could've kissed Orson Welles
the broken dreams of Orson Welles
the last time I saw Orson Welles
The Other Side of the Wind


ASC
avid
Below the Line
completion bond
D/Vision
Film Editing
Film Editor
Final Cut Pro
forced development
HD Video
insert
king of the queens
Kubrick polishes a turd
movies from space
moviola
Panavision
Persistence of Vision
Sven Nykvist
Wilford Brimley


21 Grams
A.I.
Andrei Rublyov
Apocalypse Now Redux
Ivan's Childhood
The Jazz Singer
Mirror
Nostalghia
The Sacrifice
We Were Soldiers
Wild Strawberries

In*sert" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Inserted; p. pr. & vb. n. Inserting.] [L. insertus, p. p. of inserere to insert; pref. in- in + serere to join, connect. See Series.]

To set within something; to put or thrust in; to introduce; to cause to enter, or be included, or contained; as, to insert a scion in a stock; to insert a letter, word, or passage in a composition; to insert an advertisement in a newspaper.

These words were very weakly inserted where they will be so liable to misconstruction. Bp. Stillingfleet.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.