Internal bleeding is as suggested, bleeding internally.

Internal bleeding is caused by a bodily trauma, or injury of some form. It is often not apparent, although in some cases there may be signs such as: Coughing or vomiting of blood, local swelling (especially if in the upper chest and abdomen), or bleeding from the rectum, urethra, or vagina. This all depends on the location and nature of the injury.

Other warning signs of internal bleeding are those of hypovolemic shock (shock caused by loss of blood). These include a weak, rapid pulse; shallow breathing and shortness of breath; anxiousness, light-headedness, or fainting; dilated pupils; cold, pale, and clammy skin.

The two major treatments for internal bleeding are operation, and re-absorption.

Operation: In the more serious cases of Internal bleeding the source of the bleeding needs to be found. Once the site of the bleeding is found the blood is removed, and the injury causing the bleeding is attended to (more often than not by stitching, although in extreme cases an organ may need to be removed).

Re-absorption: In less serious cases of internal bleeding, the body is able to heal itself. If the bleeding is not extreme, and the injury is not severe, then you may be sent home for plenty of bed rest. The body can heal itself (even if it does take a few weeks). The blood will be reabsorbed into the system, and the wound will heal. This can be an extremely uncomfortable experience, but can’t be compared with the pain of the operation, which is much worse.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.