Intimate is a Linux distribution for the iPaq handhelds and similar mobile devices equipped with StrongARM processors. It's explicit aim is to be Debian for the iPaq. Consequently, it is rather large. Most of the candidate devices have approximately 32 megabytes of flash, which is fine. Unfortunately, however, Intimate is 120 megabytes. This means that in order to install and run Linux, you need some kind of memory expansion, typically accomplished through at 128 megabyte (at least!) CompactFlash card, or alternatively, an IBM microdrive.

Its little brother is familiar, and in fact, intimate builds on the basic familiar installation.

In"ti*mate (?), a. [Formerly intime, L. intimus, a superl. corresponding to the compar. interior cf. F. intime. The form intimate is due to confusion with intimate, v. t. See Interior.]

1.

Innermost; inward; internal; deep-seated; hearty.

"I knew from intimate impulse."

Milton.

2.

Near; close; direct; thorough; complete.

He was honored with an intimate and immediate admission. South.

3.

Close in friendship or acquaintance; familiar; confidential; as, an intimate friend.

Syn. -- Familiar; near; friendly; confidential.

 

© Webster 1913.


In"ti*mate, n.

An intimate friend or associate; a confidant.

Gov. of the Tongue.

 

© Webster 1913.


In"ti*mate (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Intimated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Intimating.] [L. intimatus, p. p. of intimare to put, bring, drive, or press into, to announce, make known, from intimus the inmost. See Intimate, a.]

1.

To announce; to declare; to publish; to communicate; to make known.

[Obs.]

He, incontinent, did proclaim and intimate open war. E. Hall.

So both conspiring 'gan to intimate Each other's grief. Spenser.

2.

To suggest obscurely or indirectly; to refer to remotely; to give slight notice of; to hint; as, he intimated his intention of resigning his office.

The names of simple ideas and substances, with the abstract ideas in the mind, intimate some real existence, from which was derived their original pattern. Locke.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.