Island Lake is a Christian camp run by Crista (www.crista.org) ministries near Poulsbo, Washington. Aside from the summer camps for 'all ages', Island Lake also does catering events and holds some special events at various times of the year. Among these special events is a dinner theater every December.

Dinner theater at Island Lake.

The evening event builds up to a beginning as guests arrive between 6 and 6:30 pm. Outside, a Scot plays several tunes on the bagpipes, while oysters and steak are on a nearby grill; music and appetizers. A coffee stand lurks in the shadows next to the path to the side entrance and foyer. In the foyer wait guests and cold appetizers: cheeses, meats, crackers, vegetables, dressings and a punch bowl. At the appointed time, the guests are invited into the main hall. Salad and bread, water and coffee are served, while the final preparations are made for the main course.

The main course is a buffet-line of entrees. There is usually a roast beef, chicken in some form or other, potatoes (mashed, baked or scalloped), corn (on or off the cob), and a bowl of sliced lime. Salmon makes an appearance at times also.

Dessert is next, and is no paltry affair. The cheesecake is excellent, and (though I myself dislike chocolate somewhat) I am certain that the chocolate desserts are delicious as well. After dessert, there is a 10-minute break, followed by a theater production from Taproot Theater. The productions are often an hour in length, each one a depiction of scenery in a far-off place near Christmas; all productions for the Island Lake dinner theater are Christmas-oriented.

At $20 per person ($17.50 per person in groups of eight or more), the dinner theater at Island Lake is an evening well-spent. Considering the quality of the food and the production, I would recommend all events that Island Lake puts on or sponsors. Below, I have included the directions listed at the camp's website (no 'physical address' seems to help in finding the camp).


From http://cristacamps.com/:

Driving Directions to Island Lake

From Edmonds/Kingston ferry terminal or Seattle/Bainbridge Island ferry
terminal:

Edmonds/Kingston - Stay on main road toward Poulsbo for nine miles (four signal
lights and one caution light) and turn right at the fourth light (intersection
of HWY 305 and Bond Rd.) At the next signal light, turn left onto Viking Way.
Directions continued below.

Seattle/Bainbridge Island - Stay on HWY 305 to Poulsbo. Continue for approx
12.8 miles to the intersection of HWY 305 and Viking Way. Turn left onto Viking
Way.

From Viking Way, go five miles south to Ridgetop Blvd. Turn left. Take the
first left onto NW Gallery St. At the stop sign turn right onto Island Lake Rd.
and follow the road down to the ISLAND LAKE sign, and turn right on Camp Court
NW into the driveway.

------------------

From Tacoma and I-5: Take I-5 to the HWY 16/Bremerton exit. Follow HWY 16
through Gorst to HWY 3 north (to Hood Canal Bridge/Silverdale). Take Hwy 3
north to the HWY 308 east/Keyport exit. Turn right and go east one mile to the
signal light. Turn right onto Silverdale Way. Go 1.5 miles south to Ridgetop
Blvd. Turn left. Take the next left onto NW Gallery St. At the stop sign turn
right onto Island Lake Rd. and follow the road down to the ISLAND LAKE sign,
and turn right on Camp Court NW into the driveway.
Phone: 1-360-697-1212.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.