A JACKASS was a kind of heavy utility boat used in Newfoundland in the 18th and early 19th Centuries.

The United States Navy during the same period used the term to describe a HAWSE-BAG, which was a canvas bag filled with OAKUM, old pieces of tarred and shredded rope, used to stop leaks, caulk the ship's seams and even to dress wounds.

The American Jackass plugged the HAWSE-HOLES, the two cylindrical openings at the ship's bow between which the anchor cables passed while the vessel was at sea. A sailor who "came in through the hawse-holes," had entered the service at the lowest level.

More colorful terms, and many more than one variety of jackass, can be found in author Patrick O'Brian's twenty volume series of novels on the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars, beginning with Master and Commander, in paperback from W.W. Norton and Company, ISBN 0-393-30705-0.

WARNING
The following show features stunts performed either by
professionals or under the supervision of professionals.
Accordingly, MTV and the producers must insist that no one attempt to
recreate or re-enact any stunt or activity performed on this show.

Jackass is the offspring of the producers of the Camp Kill Yourself videos and Johnny Knoxville. Co-produced by Knoxville, Spike Jonze and Jeff Tremaine, it is a combination of the truly sick with the terrifically daft. Ever seen a human raft made of a man wrapped up in bubblewrap? Ever wondered what would happen if you drank as much egg nog as you possibly could? Have you ever been turned upside-down in a portaloo?

In 1996 Johnny Knoxville pitched the idea of trying various self defence weapons (including pepper spray, a taser and a stun gun) upon himself to a variety of magazines. The idea was taken up by Jeff Tremaine of Big Brother Magazine who then hired Knoxville as a journalist for the magazine (along with others such as Chris Pontius and Dave England). Knoxville filmed the self defense stunt (which later appeared in Season 1, Episode 1 of Jackass) and several others - these films eventually became part of the Big Brother video trilogy (including "Boob" and "Number Two"). With the success of the videos, Big Brother took the hit Knoxville on tour, where it is believed that he met Bam Margera (of Camp Kill Yourself fame).

When MTV beat Comedy Central to offer Knoxville a show featuring his stunts, he remembered Margera and asked him to be on the show. The show eventually expanded to include a number of stunt professionals, skaters and generally crazy people :

Jackass became a hit and was one of MTV's highest rated shows for 3 seasons. Cameo appearences from such faces as Brad Pitt and Tony Hawk sealed the popularity of the program. Eventually, new shows were stalled due to restrictions (after various children (and random stupid adults) tried to emulate the stunts that Knoxville et al had performed).

Dickhouse Entertainment Production, Lynch/Siderow Productions, MTV Films, MTV Networks and Paramount produced "Jackass : The Movie" which was released in the USA on 25th October 2002. Produced by and starring the same team as the TV show with a few cameo appearances, such as Tony Hawk. The film has been nominated for a Razzie Award for "Most Flatulent Teen-Targeted Movie".

The movie is summed up best by the plot keywords from the IMDB:

TV Series Episode Guide

Season 1
Episode #1

Episode #2

Episode #3

Episode #4

Episode #5

Episode #6

Episode #7

    Yoga Class • Alligatorama • Skate Fall • Bush Jump • Magic Show • Alligator on the Streets • Extreme Scootin' • Worst Hearst • Bam and Ryan on Golf Course • Street Fishing • Stinky Directions

Episode #8

Season 2
Episode #1

Episode #2

Episode #3

Episode #4

Episode #5

Episode #6

Episode #7

Episode #8

Season 3
Episode #1

Episode #2

Episode #3

    Intro (Knoxville Family) • Glue Helmet Test • Ghetto Carts 2 • Office Chairs • Extreme Unicycle • Porta-Potty • Johnny Knoxville 1989 • Tandem Biking • Kitty Saddle • Bottle Skating • Cow Suit • The Bat • Dimitry the Terrible • Emu Hunter • Weeman Statue Skating • Dusty Farts

Episode #4

    Slip & Slide • Rude Johnny 1 • Body Cast • Snowboarding • Crapper Sled • Human Pinata • Bucket Slide • Carpet Skating • Rude Johnny 2 • Hunchback at Notre DameMetro Bunny • Rude Johnny 3 • Paintball Duel • Jumping Hurdles • Pigeons on Johnny's Crack • Wee King • Rude Johnny 4 • Nutball

Episode #5

    Intro • Bloody Windshield • Pogo Skateboard • Stupid Idea 1 • Drop Knee Land Boogie • Snow Tubing • Stupid Idea 2 • Human Car Wash • Bug Kisses • Skunk Car • Kiss Me! • Snow Ladder • Belt Sander Skates • Ass Face • Dutch Girl • Tube Skateboarding • Stupid Idea 3 • Oklahoma

Episode #6

    Magnet Suit • Hotdog Skateboarding • Chemical Spill • Snow Scooter • Hotdog Hockey • Football Follies • Backwards Bullriding • Bunny Hop • Prostitute Boat Race • Shark Ride • Hotdog BMX • Ryan Smells Like Piss • Face Your Fear • Hotdog Gymnastics • Playgirl Pontius

Episode #7

Episode #8

    Gene Simmons Intro • Paintball Phil • Water Tubing • Sleep-O • Sculpture Garden • Night Monkey 2 (With Brad Pitt) • Ice Block Skating • Sculpture 2 • BMX Polo • Security Guard • Ice Craze • Tandem Snowboarding • The Toupee • Bloody Carpet

Episode #9


I'll tell you the meaning of frustration. Frustration is being in America for the two weeks before Jackass : The Movie is released watching all of the great behind the scenes programmes and generally getting caught up in the build up and then having to fly back on the actual release date, thus missing the film and having to wait four months until February 28th for it to be released in the UK.
Strangely enough, MTV Europe have seen fit to commission a similar series by the name of "Dirty Sanchez", featuring three Welsh men and one "pouncey southerner" doing very similar crazy and insane things - mostly ending in a bleeding bum or someone's genitals being in pain.
Sources :
http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/jackass/
http://movies.go.com/movies/J/jackassthemovie_2002/
http://www.imdb.com
http://www.mtv.com
http://www.steve-o.tv
http://www.bigbadphil.com
http://cky.bunchajerks.com
http://www.jackassonline.net
http://www.jackass.50g.com
http://users.pandora.be/joemoto/index.html

Jack"ass` (?), n. [2d jack + ass.]

1.

The male ass; a donkey.

2.

A conceited dolt; a perverse blockhead.

Jackass bark Naut., a three-masted vessel, with only the foremast square-rigged; a barkentine. -- Jackass deer Zool., the koba. -- Jackass hare, Jackass rabbit Zool.. See Jack rabbit, under 2d Jack, n. -- Jackass penguin Zool., any species of penguin of the genus Spheniscus, of which several are known. One species (S. demersus) inhabits the islands near the Cape of Good Hope; another (S. Magellanicus) is found at the Falkland Islands. They make a noise like the braying of an ass; -- hence the name. -- Laughing jackass. Zool. See under Laughing.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.