Eggs are one of the greatest juggling props ever devised. Make sure that you can do any trick at least six times in a row before attempting it with eggs... and never demonstrate your egg juggling techniques to somebody when using their eggs... you are guaranteed to drop them all!

It has been definitively proved that any juggling routine instantly becomes twice as funny when you include eggs, and a full five times as funny when you use a mixture of eggs and bouncing balls. 8^)

However, the famed problems with juggling eggs is not the juggling itself, but trying to stop juggling! Three eggs is easy enough, since you just shuffle an egg from one hand into another before catching the last one.

four eggs is much harder, since there is no way to avoid catching one egg on top of another. You have to catch the last two eggs high and early, and deccelerate them as you bring your hands down. But if you are attempting the five egg cascade, you might as well accept it... there is going to be a mess. Bring a mop.

jolix = J = jump off into never-never land

juggling eggs vi.

Keeping a lot of state in your head while modifying a program. "Don't bother me now, I'm juggling eggs", means that an interrupt is likely to result in the program's being scrambled. In the classic 1975 first-contact SF novel "The Mote in God's Eye", by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, an alien describes a very difficult task by saying "We juggle priceless eggs in variable gravity." See also hack mode and on the gripping hand.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.