A Greek island about 300km SE of Athens .

Traditionally the economy was driven by fishing and sponge diving but like most islands of the archipelago now rises and falls to the seasonal tourist dollar, or tourist euro to be exact. Agricultural and horticultural income is still part of the way of life with citrus fruit, vegetables and goats milk being exported from the island.

Spurned by the majority of the package tourists due to the lack of an airport the scene on the island is very sleepy, particularly in the spring and autumn. In the winter the islands tourist centers are all but abandoned.

Should the discerning traveller require further peace a boat can be taken to the nearby small island of Telendos where disputably nothing happens.

The island is about 30km long and 10km wide with a high backbone of limestone which rises to about 740m ASL at it's highest point. Its this karst backbone which attracts rock climbers.

There's about 300 single and multi pitch routes which are all reasonably bolted with the full support and approval of the local government. All recent bolting has been done with 12mm stainless steel glue-ins or dynabolts.

There are about 30 distinct sectors but there is never more than a 10 minute scooter ride between them. Grades run from F4 (5.6) to F8b (5.14a/b) with the majority of the routes resting in the F5c-F7b (5.9-5.12b) range.

Other stuff to do includes snorkling, eating, sun bathing, shagging and other components of the typical sun-rock holiday.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.