Verb. To carry a premature baby skin to skin against the chest under clothing. Based on findings in Columbia in the 1970s that noted increased health and survival rates among premature infants using this technique, as the babys stabilized their temperature, breathing, and heart rates by being in constant contact with their mother.


Noun. Forward facing method of carrying a baby in a sling, which gets its name from the position's similarity to a joey in a mother kangaroo's pouch. The baby must be capable of holding his or her own head up before you try this.
  1. Place sling on either shoulder in standard position (shoulder pad or pillow cushioning one shoulder, and the rings or knot high on the chest.
  2. Pull the closest sling rail (the one against your stomach) to mid-chest.
  3. Hold your baby facing away from you against your chest and the sling rail.
  4. (You may need assistance here) Pull the other sling rail away from you, creating a pouch, and drop the child into it.
  5. You will probably need to cross your baby's legs a little bit.
  6. If you need to adjust the tail of the sling, support your baby's bottom.

(Optional) You can place your baby's elbow along the outer rail, as if he or she is leisurely sitting in the cab of a truck and about to make a turn signal. I don't know if this is more comfortable for your wee bairn, but it looks cute as hell.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.