1. To press a criminal complaint against; to testify against. 2. To inform against an underworld associate; to betray to the police. 3. To arrest; to prosecute; to sentence or commit to prison. 4. To slander; to make derogatory reference to.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
Preignition in an internal combustion engine. Occurs when the fuel-air mixture spontaneously ignites before it should. Typically when the piston is performing its compression stroke, but before it reaches Top Dead Center. Can be caused by low octane gas, or by carbon buildup on piston heads (which is a sign of other problems such as oil seepage).

Predominant controlling factor in the amount of boost that can be run in a turbocharged engine. The higher the boost, the more danger of knock and the higher rated octane gas required to keep the engine running smoothly. High levels of knock are bad, and can destroy pistons and connecting rods very quickly, leading to an engine rebuild.

Knock is not just a verb, it is also a noun!
As in the town in County Mayo, Ireland.

Mayo is located around the towns of Claremorris, Knock, Ballyhaunis, Charlestown, Ballina and Castlebar.The County Mayo is populated with castles, cathedrals, fortresses and archaeological sites. Also for the Catholic it has the famous Knock Shrine which is the nearest holy site apart from Lourdes in France for ahte majority of people in the British Isles.

Rich in beauty, history and Irish heritage. Apart from that.... what else is there to write about?
Well.... it has an airport. Yes an airport!

When most people think of a place/town/city that has an airport it always has to be a place of high importance.....consider this: Knock is a Holy site in the far West of Ireland] between the mountains,bogs and fog. Oh and Pope John Paul the Second has visited it. Sure didn't He kiss the ground?

Now Knock is a small village and we are talking the realms of CraggyIsland-ness from the 'Father Ted' comedy shows. Knock lays on the lovingly known road to the Garda as the R63. This road is not just a by-way to a town but the outroad to many a small place like Ballyhaunis and the police/Garda patrol these ways to counteract drink-driving. In rural areas these laws passed in BIG towns and cities forget the area that is outside their realms.

To most Britons Knock appears only as a destination of the low cost flight peoples destinations in: www.mytravellite.com adverts as a cheap way to travel t'Ireland the land of black stout and craic. As an International Airport it really cannot compete due to its high placement that gives fault to fog BUT as a stepping stone to the West of Ireland; to Galway, Connemara, Westport, Castlebar, Castlerea, Sligo and Roscommon it really is (as Christy Moore sang) 'a miracle that they built an airport down in Knock!'

For more of the information that surrounds Knock then either go there.... (physically if you are a good Catholic) or... look at ->

http://www.knock-shrine.ie/
http://www.west-irl-holidays.ie/

Knock (nok), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Knocked (nokt); p. pr. & vb. n. Knocking.] [OE. knoken, AS. cnocian, cnucian; prob. of imitative origin; cf. Sw. knacka. Cf. Knack.]

1.

To drive or be driven against something; to strike against something; to clash; as, one heavy body knocks against another. Bacon.

2.

To strike or beat with something hard or heavy; to rap; as, to knock with a club; to knock on the door.

For harbor at a thousand doors they knocked.
Dryden.

Seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
Matt. vii. 7.

To knock about, to go about, taking knocks or rough usage; to wander about; to saunter. [Colloq.] "Knocking about town." W. Irving. --
To knock up, to fail of strength; to become wearied or worn out, as with labor; to give out. "The horses were beginning to knock up under the fatigue of such severe service." De Quincey. --
To knock off, to cease, as from work; to desist. --
To knock under, to yield; to submit; to acknowledge one's self conquered; -- an expression probably borrowed from the practice of knocking under the table with the knuckles, when conquered. "Colonel Esmond knocked under to his fate." Thackeray.

 

© Webster 1913


Knock (nok), v. t.

1.

To strike with something hard or heavy; to move by striking; to drive (a thing) against something; as, to knock a ball with a bat; to knock the head against a post; to knock a lamp off the table.

When heroes knock their knotty heads together.
Rowe.

2.

To strike for admittance; to rap upon, as a door.

Master, knock the door hard.
Shak.

To knock down.
(a) To strike down; to fell; to prostrate by a blow or by blows; as, to knock down an assailant.
(b) To assign to a bidder at an auction, by a blow or knock; to knock off. --
To knock in the head, or on the head, to stun or kill by a blow upon the head; hence, to put am end to; to defeat, as a scheme or project; to frustrate; to quash. [Colloq.] --
To knock off.
(a) To force off by a blow or by beating.
(b) To assign to a bidder at an auction, by a blow on the counter.
(c) To leave off (work, etc.). [Colloq.] --
To knock out, to force out by a blow or by blows; as, to knock out the brains. - - To knock up.
(a) To arouse by knocking.
(b) To beat or tire out; to fatigue till unable to do more; as, the men were entirely knocked up. [Colloq.] "The day being exceedingly hot, the want of food had knocked up my followers." Petherick.

(c) (Bookbinding) To make even at the edges, or to shape into book form, as printed sheets.

 

© Webster 1913


Knock, n.

1.

A blow; a stroke with something hard or heavy; a jar.

2.

A stroke, as on a door for admittance; a rap. " A knock at the door." Longfellow.

A loud cry or some great knock.
Holland.

Knock off, a device in a knitting machine to remove loops from the needles.

 

© Webster 1913


Knock, v. i.

To practice evil speaking or fault-finding; to criticize habitually or captiously. [Vulgar Slang, U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913


Knock, v. t.

To impress strongly or forcibly; to astonish; to move to admiration or applause. [Slang, Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.