For a long time, I have felt that my life ambition was to know everything.

The other day, as I was walking home from work, I was pondering this ambition. This was probably due to the fact that I had just been browsing E2 before leaving.

The epiphany I had went something like this:

I can never really know everything, but this is a good thing

This is not about child rearing or censorship, but a view of what's worth learning. The truth is, everything is worth learning. There may be some things that you may find more useful than others, but everything you learn gives you more insight about yourself and the human condition. Most activities in life are limited to a certain age range. Some, like rugby, require that you be young and fit. Others, like membership in AARP, require you to be old. The point is, not many activities are universal, but learning is. You're learning from the moment you're born, and if you choose to, right up until the moment you die.

What are we really, but the collection of our own knowledge? Thoughts and experiences are a kind of knowledge. I think feelings are a kind of knowledge to, since they become memories.

I believe that evil is just a manifestation of ignorance. Understanding someone else's position invariably gives you more rational insight into any topic.

A lot of my ideas are vapor, but when I realized I could never actually know everything, it dawned on me: that's exactly why it's a good thing. Many lofty goals are achievable, such as being the best in the world at something. If you ever achieve it though, what is left for you? Achieving goals can more disappointing than rewarding. What would you do if you did know everything?

The thing I realized is that the joy in wanting to know everything comes from the learning you experience in the pursuit of it. The fact that it's an utterly unattainable goal means you'll never be disappointed. That's why it's a good thing.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.