To quote the manual, less is the opposite of more. To be precise, it is a file pager of UN*X systems. Originally it was named because it could page backwards through files (or even pipes, if set up to buffer them!), although nowadays more also does that.

less has zillions of commands. It is also highly configurable: you can set up the appearance of the prompt (and the details it includes), default option settings, keybindings, and an input preprocessor (so you can view gzipped files directly, or tarred directories, or anything else).

It's all too complex for my feeble mind; I usually prefer more.

Less (lês), conj.

Unless.

[Obs.]

B. Jonson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Less, a. [OE. lesse, AS. læssa; akin to OFries. læssa; a compar. from a lost positive form. Cf. Lesser, Lest, Least. Less has the sense of the comparative degree of little.]

Smaller; not so large or great; not so much; shorter; inferior; as, a less quantity or number; a horse of less size or value; in less time than before.

The substantive which less qualifies is often omitted; as, the purse contained less (money) than ten dollars. See Less, n.

Thus in less [time] than a hundred years from the coming of Augustine, all England became Christian. E. A. Freeman.

 

© Webster 1913.


Less, adv. [AS. ls. See Less, adj., and cf. Lest.]

Not so much; in a smaller or lower degree; as, less bright or loud; less beautiful.

 

© Webster 1913.


Less, n.

1.

A smaller portion or quantity.

The children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some less. Ex. xvi. 17.

2.

The inferior, younger, or smaller.

The less is blessed of the better. Heb. vii. 7.

 

© Webster 1913.


Less, v. t.

To make less; to lessen.

[Obs.]

Gower.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.