The act of moving a tongue linearly against something. This is typically done to gather part of something in order to determine taste. Other reasons to lick include: moistening something such as with stamps and envelopes, providing pleasurable sensations to skin, and to gross someone out.

Also, a lead segment, usually played on electric guitar. A guitar solo is often made up of many individual licks, especially when the guitarist is shredding. Often, a lick is "cool" or difficult to play. Compare with riff, which is a similar concept applied to playing rhythm guitar.

drenehtsral notes that one can also play a "lick" on the harmonica.

Lick (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Licked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Licking.] [AS. liccian; akin to OS. likkn, D. likken, OHG. lecchn, G. lecken, Goth. bi-laign, Russ. lizate, L. lingere, Gr. , Skr. lih, rih. . Cf. Lecher, Relish.]

1.

To draw or pass the tongue over; as, a dog licks his master's hand.

Addison.

2.

To lap; to take in with the tongue; as, a dog or cat licks milk.

Shak.

To lick the dust, to be slain; to fall in battle. "His enemies shall lick the dust." Ps. lxxii. 9. -- To lick into shape, to give proper form to; -- from a notion that the bear's cubs are born shapeless and subsequently formed by licking. Hudibras. -- To lick the spittle of, to fawn upon. South. -- To lick up, to take all of by licking; to devour; to consume entirely. Shak. Num. xxii. 4.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lick, n. [See Lick, v.]

1.

A stroke of the tongue in licking.

"A lick at the honey pot."

Dryden.

2.

A quick and careless application of anything, as if by a stroke of the tongue, or of something which acts like a tongue; as, to put on colors with a lick of the brush. Also, a small quantity of any substance so applied.

[Colloq.]

A lick of court white wash. Gray.

3.

A place where salt is found on the surface of the earth, to which wild animals resort to lick it up; -- often, but not always, near salt springs.

[U. S.] <-- = salt lick -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Lick, v. t. [Cf. OSw. lagga to place, strike, prick.]

To strike with repeated blows for punishment; to flog; to whip or conquer, as in a pugilistic encounter.

[Colloq. or Low]<-- to defeat in a contest? -->

Carlyle. Thackeray.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lick, n.

A slap; a quick stroke.

[Colloq.] "A lick across the face."

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.