Most people can't see in the dark. I can't see in the light.

I can't remember not being lightblind. If the sky was ever any brighter than dark gray, I'd have to squint horribly whenever I was outside, even if I kept my eyes cast down. I still feel like the muscles at the corners of my eyes could probably bend steel.

This delightful condition led me to spend most of my time indoors as a child, watching the idiot box, reading, or playing various games of any sort, from board games to Nintendo.

At first, it was decided by my mother that my condition was psychological. I was berated for constantly blinking when I was having a picture taken, or for squeezing my eyes shut when a doctor was trying to examine me. But eventually, she came to understand it.

Nobody has ever able to find out why I'm lightblind. It could just be a random genetic fluke. That I have 20/20 vision and my parents are both legally blind might be related. Also, I have very bad allergies, to virtually any form of plant life. My mom is an avid gardner, and I live in Oregon. Those can't help, either. Still, no doctor has ever been able to tell me why. No glaucoma. No diabetes. Just lightblindness.

Sunglasses don't help. At least, not the normal kind you pick up at the general store. I can wear those for around ten minutes, and then my eyes start to water like I've got something in them, and I have to take them off. I'm right back where I started.

However, when I was around 12, my mother and I picked up a pair of Vuarnet sunglasses on the cheap from the Costco, hoping against hope that they'd help. They did. I was able to go outside and not squint nearly so badly, even if everything did look yellow. I still carry a pair on my belt, and I have to use them often.

It's not all bad, though. My night vision is excellent. I have always loved nightscapes. My energy bill is pleasingly low, as I keep my house almost disturbingly dark when I'm home.

But I have seen the sun just once.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.