Attention all humans, this is about YOU!

With only rare exception humans and other primates are born with 10 fingers and 10 toes. It's two of the 10 fingers that we're interested in today.

It's my honor to introduce you to the magical world of the LITTLE FINGER .
wait a sec....that looks funny.... maybe we should try this:
*crashing sounds*
*bang*
*tinkle*
ok, that's better...

This node is about the little finger

What can be said about the little finger? Lots of things! But before we get to that, lets take a moment to familiarize ourselves with this often overlooked part of our anatomy.

The first step is to find your own little fingers, this is quite simple if you follow these steps:

  1. Lay your right hand palm down on any solid surface, I'd suggest a table or desk, in a pinch your knee will also work.
  2. Spread out all your fingers so they point away from you and using your left hand start counting the fingers of your right hand from left to right. *
  3. Start at one, when you get to five you will have found your little finger. Congratulation, now go show mommy!
  4. If by some odd reason you arrive at any other number than five, consult a doctor. Your life may be at stake.

So, now I assume that if you've made it this far, you've identified your little finger. Good. Let's get started.
First off you should make the following observations about your little finger.

  • It is generally the smallest finger on your hand.
  • If you put your palms together, you'll notice that your little finger has a twin, this is also a little finger. Yes, you have two!
  • Like all fingers, it has three joints, and a finger nail.

If you want to get more technical the little finger is the fifth metacarpal. It is composed of the distal, middle, and proximal phalanx, or phalanges as they're more commonly referred to when speaking of the whole finger.
Beyond the bone structure, the muscles that contribute to the movement of the little finger include the Abductor Digiti Minimi (not to be confused with Mini Me), Flexor Digiti MInimi Brevis, Opponens Digiti MInimi, and a single Lumbrical.
And last but not least the nerve that allows sensation in the little finger is known as the ulnar nerve.
Cover all this in skin, add a few hairs and a finger nail and you got yourself a little finger! yay!

Of course, if that doesn't mean anything to you, just remember, the little finger fits deepest into your nose :)
-doug

Sources:
The Anatomy Coloring Book, Kapit and Elson.
ISBN: 0-06-453914-8
URL: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/archive/9555.html
My own anatomy.

Someone was hurt in the
making of this node, namely
myself (I got a paper cut)

*:depending on your culture you may also count from right to left on your left hand, or align your hand palm up, fingers to the left and count from the top down.

This has been my first effort to help The Nodeshell Rescue Team, GO TEAM YAY!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.