Loaded dice are a time-honored tradition among RPG players. Such games are ideal for "cheating" because everyone brings their own "lucky dice" to the game. Loaded dice are not recommended in any game where stakes are high enough to warrant retribution. For "friendly" games, though, a set of skewed dice can turn your "luck" in a happy direction.

Fortunately for would-be amateur cheaters, there is a universal tradition of dice manufacture that requires opposite sides of a die to add up to the number seven. Therefore, the "six" is always opposite the "one". Assuming you're playing a game where it is more advantageous to roll higher numbers, loading dice centers around altering the "six" side so it is less likely to land face-down, or altering the "one" side so it is more likely to land face-down.

When throwing home-made loaded dice for "good" results, it is best to let the die roll as far and as long as possible. The slowly-dropping rotation speed gives your subtle alteration the best opportunity to "catch". A loading job should be subtle. People will write off the occasional extra "six" as a lucky streak. Two boxcars in a row, on the other hand, is immediately suspect.

Easily Obtaining Loaded Dice:

  • Pre-Manufactured Dice:

    Some game stores and novelty shops sell pre-manufactured loaded dice. Upon visual inspection, they appear unaltered. If you were to dissect such a die, you'd find that the region under the "one" is made of a denser material than the remainder of the die. As the die spins, the weight of the "one" side is more likely to anchor the die to the table than any other, leaving the "six" face-up.

    If you're going to buy loaded dice, give them a test run first. Some dice are so heavily weighted that it is screamingly obvious to the casual observer. These dice spin unnaturally when coming to a halt, and perform strange cartwheels on the table. than anything else.

  • Ten Minutes with a Fingernail File

    Take a fingernail file and incrementally begin filing the edges of the "six" side until they are more round and less angular. Do the same to the corners of the "six" side. Hold the dice at arms length every now and then to verify that you aren't noticeably overdoing it.

  • Power Tools make the World Go 'Round

    The truly bored cheater might go so far as to drill out the pips on the "six" side of the die and re-seal the tops of the holes with a thin layer of putty. Re-ink the pips on every side of the die with black ink. Heck, cut the die in half, remove some material from the "six" side, glue the die back together, sand the seams and repaint the whole die. You really were just looking for a reason to pull out the Dremel, right?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.