Locking your hat is the action, when wearing a baseball hat or visor, of putting it on forwards and then turning it sharply to the right or left. Often seen as a fashion statement, this is not always correct. A lot of hats today are what we call 'flexfit' or fullback hats: instead of having an adjustable fastener (and therefore a hole), the hat is solid all the way around. Instead of a clip at the back, the hat is lined with an elastic to make it comfortable for a variety of head sizes.

The problem with this system, however, is that instead of being available in a variety of comfortable sizes, hats come in only small, medium, and large. If your head rests somewhere in between say medium and large, you will find that a medium hat is too tight and a large hat is too loose. This is where locking your hat becomes useful. When wearing a hat that is slightly too large, all one must do is wear it slightly to the side. As you may well be able to figure out, most human heads are ovals. Hats are ovals that are designed to fit onto other, slightly smaller ovals.

Imagine if you will an oval with a height of 2 inches and a width of 1 inch. Surrounding this oval is another oval, with a height of 2.5' , and a width of 1 1/4'. These two ovals are content to never meet, as they are both forward facing abstract concepts, and they know no other way. Now imagine if you will taking the outer oval and turning it 40 degrees to the right. Our two ovals are now firmly joined in a most unholy communion. This is the principle one works with when locking their hat, albeit with actual physical objects designed to flex and give.... However the thesis remains valid.


In this individual's opinion, locked hats look best when failing to contain messy hair.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.