A long wire is a simple antenna system used to communicate by radio. It's so simple, it's one of the first antennas that ham radio operators use to get on the air.

I used a long wire in my back yard when I first received my amateur radio license in the mid-1980's. I was still in the US Navy, and was stationed in Millington, Tennessee. I put up a long wire, connected to an antenna tuner, and finally over to my "new" Heathkit HW-101 tube transceiver, sometimes affectionately known as Hot Water 101's.

I tuned my radio to 28.400MHz, right in the middle of the 10-meter radio band. Since my license class was Novice, that was the only space where I could use voice communications. I turned on the radio and was immediately blasted by a radio station in Estonia, coming in loud and clear. I keyed my microphone and he came right back to me. That really started my love affair with Ham Radio.

The long wire was just that -- a long piece of copper wire zig-zagged around the yard. It was horribly inefficient, but it worked.

The better way to use a long wire antenna, especially on the lower ends of the amateur radio bands, is to use either a tuned wire, cut specifically for that band, or to install some traps, which allows one to operate several different bands with reasonable efficiency.

One of the issues with a long wire is to have the real estate to put one up on the lower bands. A 160-meter long wire, full wave, is 160 meters long, or 525 feet, or (for better visualization) 174 yards...the equivalent of one and three-quarters football fields long.

One of the benefits of a long wire is the extremely low take-off angle of the primary signal lobe. This makes communications around the world more reliable and you can reach better distances.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.