Lorry is the British word for those vehicles which would be called trucks in the USA. There is probably some interesting etymology at play here, but I have no clue as to what it might be.

Lor"rie, Lor"ry (?), n.; pl. Lorries (#). [Prob. from lurry to pull or lug.]

A small cart or wagon, as those used on the tramways in mines to carry coal or rubbish; also, a barrow or truck for shifting baggage, as at railway stations.

<-- (Brit.) now a motorized vehicle, esp. a large one, for transporting freight, called "truck" in the U.S. -->


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.