The lunchbox, as outlined in lunch box, is a hinged metal or plastic container with a handle, designed for holding a small meal. The plastic sort is oftened decorated with some design or character.

However, the lunchbox is also so much more.

The lunchbox is one of the true artifacts of kitsch. All you who were once kiddies remember these - in blue, purple, and red, with cheap adhesive covers with ALL YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTERS! He-Man, Skeletor, Spiderman, Josie and the Pussycats. Poorly drawn, brightly colored cartoon characters were all that stood between your peanut butter and jelly sandwich and that one shrewd little bastard who was always weaseling everyone else out of their food via his cleverly planned "trades."

Lunchboxes have now been enshrined, along with the Atari 2600, Pong, Dukes of Hazzard, and Transformers, in that wonderful period of their lives which now forms the center of their retro obsession.

And of course, there's also the post-retro effect - some use lunchbox's kitsch value to underline their dark and scary message, because they are so dark and scary. Case in point - Marylin Manson has his own lunchbox.

Another couple of items can come under this heading, since they were originally nicknamed after the humble lunchbox but are now known by the name.

One is the the English sprinter Linford Christie, who, thanks to his perceived endowment in the lycra shorts department, was referred to as having a well-packed lunchbox. This was shortened in the tabloid press so he was known simply as The Lunchbox.

The other item is the case for a series of Sparc architecture computers manufactured by Sun Microsystems between the late 80s to early 90s. Rather than being a traditional wide desktop case (Sun's version was called a Pizzabox) it was a narrow, squat case which could be mounted sideways as well as on its base.

Lunchbox

  1. Fill a glass 2/3 of the way with a mixture of orange juice and beer. Yeah, you heard me right.
  2. Fill a separate shot glass with 151, or any hard alcohol you have at your disposal. Vodka works fine, as does rum. Do not use Rumplemints for the same reason that you should not drink orange juice after brushing your teeth.
  3. Perform some sort of Zen meditation, or become otherwise mentally centered and prepared for what comes next.
  4. Drop the shot glass into the concoction. (You should use a glass shot glass, so that the shot will sink to the bottom.)
  5. Chug.

 

A                     B                   C

                        |~~|
                        |__|
|      |              |      |            |      |
|      |              |      |            |~~~~~~|
|~~~~~~|              |~~~~~~|            |      |
|      |              |      |            |      |
|      |              |      |            |      |
|      |   |~~|       |      |            | |  | |
|______|   |__|       |______|            |_|__|_|      

Although at first this drink sounds more disgusting than eating a poopy diaper on a bun with Feta cheese, the lunchbox experience is quite enjoyable overall. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Like to drop shots into beers and then chug them? Try Irish Car Bomb or Depth Charge!




briglass: did you like my explanation of a lunchbox?
PuNHaLo: ha yes
PuNHaLo: especially the meditation part
briglass: would you ever try one?
PuNHaLo: doubtful



References:
http://www.geocities.com/post_natus/wisconsin01.jpg
Road trip to University of Wisconsin<

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.