Management Style refers to the approach that an organization takes in setting objectives for its employees and the way it manages relations between superiors and subordinates.

Management or leadership styles can be categorized as:

Autocratic

Any manager that uses this style of management takes entire responsibility for decisions and, having set objective and tasks for his/her team, expects them to be carried out exactly as specified.

With this form of management, employees are told what, how and when work must be started and must be finished. This management is really associated with a corporate culture centered almost mainly around production. Employees are not asked any opinion, nor are they given any choice making responsibilities.

There are some situations where an autocratic style is useful:

  • Small organizations, the leader is very hands on and is in the day to day working of the business
  • Organizations with unskilled, people who have no ambitions and are only motivated by their pay could use a autocratic style of management.
  • Working environments in which there is a serious health and safety risk
would be a time where an autocratic manager is required.

Democratic

A democratic management style seeks to involve employees in the everyday decision making process of the business, either by consulting them directly or through their representatives. This approach reflects a corporate culture, which is more human resources centered.

A consultative approach is particularly important if an organization is planning to change product design or working conditions, methods and practices.

There are several advantages of this kind of style.

  • Mainly job satisfaction, the employee feels involved and this will improve their motivation and overall the team spirit will be better
  • A business can take more advantage of the employees by investing in their skills and training them so their opinion is an important part of the business.
  • This kind of style requires more personal contact between the manager and his employees, they will get to know each other and become friends, and eventually it will be a friendlier work place because of this

Unfortunately this style does have it disadvantages, for example all the consulting can take time, slowing down the decision making and causing in some cases a lot of arguments.

Laissez-Faire

Out of all the styles mentioned, this one has to be the most relaxed one ever. Laissez-Faire gives the employees complete freedom to organize their own work and how they get on with it, there is no manager to look over them or shout at them, they are all expected to do their work and have it done for the deadline required.

Laissez-Faire style:

  • gives a wider scope for the development of individual talents, initiatives and creative thinking
  • Offers a management system and culture which is suitable for the growing number of people who do not work in offices but at homes.
  • The most important is that it relives stress levels, this is because there is no pressure on them, as long as it is all done on time and is up to standard then its ok

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.