Multipurpose adjective and noun from Northern and Midlands British English, meaning sulky, unco-operative, a crybaby


" Used throughout the East Midlands and some parts of Yorkshire, particularly in Hull and Sheffield. Maungy has the same meaning in most other parts of Yorkshire and east Lancashire, i.e. "he has a maunge on". "
Wiktionary


Pronunciation: It's well known that the bulk of England is non-rhotic, so the 'R" i not pronounced. In addition, the "y" is usually short, as in get, so (in Notttingham) it's mah-dè.

For once, Urban Dictionary has one of the best definitions of this wonderfully useful word: "Grumpy. Surly. Like a moaning child who doesn't get his way", and it had the additional meaning of being a cry-baby. . I grew up in North Nottinghamshire at the southern end of Yorkshire's linguistic influence, the word was in popular use sixty years ago, and to this day it's commonly heard in Nottingham (More on Nottingham dialect here.) "Mardyarse" was a not uncommon description of someone who threw their toys out of the pram if they didn't get their way. It's used as a noun too, as in "having/throwing a mardy". Some parts of the Midlands might also use "monk", as in "'E's gorra monk on", and I've heard "monk-faced" to describe a pouting demeanour, especially in barbarian Derbyshire. Nottingham also uses "bag" as in "'E's gorra bag on" in a similar way.

I remember moving to Norfolk and using it in grammar school, and was delighted when it took root there. Now it's another bit of British English I am proud to introduce to Americans and others online. "Wanker" and "trump" (for a fart) are well established in my circles already, let's see if I can get another success.


Brought to you by the British Council for the Recovery of America, Jefferson cabal.






$ xclip -o | wc -w
240

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.