I have categorized all of my expensive little containers of make up into piles that match. Cool light, cool dark, warm neutral. This way, I can be assured of my eyes matching my lips. I should do this with my clothing. Olive green Atari Defender shirt with plain blue jeans. White v-necked t shirt with khaki shorts. Burnt orange polo shirt with teal and yellow stripes with uhhh...

This is why it takes me a minimum of ten minutes to pick out clothes to wear out in public. My mother never taught me how to match my clothes, and what I think matches or looks good is invariably met with a blank stare - people must wonder if I never have the chance to do my laundry. On men this is charming, on a 25 year old woman, it is frightening. I see nothing wrong with pairing my favorite shirt with my favorite skirt.

The problem lies in the fact that my favorite shirt is a red white and blue t-shirt that says "Detroit" on the back, and is signed by Chino Moreno on the front - and my favorite skirt is a BeBe crushed velvet cranberry number. I am the person that those closet makeover shows were created for.

I'm just waiting for that Fashion Emergency chick to show up at my door.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.