In chess, "material" refers to the relative value of various types of pieces on the chessboard. When a series of moves and counter-moves allows one player to capture more valuable pieces than they lost, that player is said to have "gained material" while the opponent is said to have "lost material." The player with more valuable material on the board at any given time is said to have a "material advantage" over the other player. A player who purposefully loses material in order to gain compensation or a different type of advantage is said to have "sacrificed material."

Ma*te"ri*al (?), a. [L. materialis, fr. materia stuff, matter: cf. F. mat'eriel. See Matter, and cf. Materiel.]

1.

Consisting of matter; not spiritual; corporeal; physical; as, material substance or bodies.

The material elements of the universe. Whewell.

2.

Hence: Pertaining to, or affecting, the physical nature of man, as distinguished from the mental or moral nature; relating to the bodily wants, interests, and comforts.

3.

Of solid or weighty character; not insubstantial; of cinsequence; not be dispensed with; important.

Discourse, which was always material, never trifling. Evelyn.

I shall, in the account of simple ideas, set down only such as are most material to our present purpose. Locke.

4. Logic.

Pertaining to the matter, as opposed to the form, of a thing. See Matter.

Material cause. See under Cause. -- Material evidence Law, evidence which conduces to the proof or disproof of a relevant hypothesis. Wharton.

Syn. -- Corporeal; bodily; important; weighty; momentous; essential.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ma*te"ri*al, n.

The substance or matter of which anything is made or may be made.

Raw material, any crude, unfinished, or elementary materials that are adapted to use only by processes of skilled labor. Cotton, wool, ore, logs, etc., are raw material.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ma*te"ri*al, v. t.

To form from matter; to materialize.

[Obs.]

Sir T. Browne.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.